Nerdfighters

Last year, there was a 50 book challenge on this very ning, but sadly, I discovered it too late to really participate. The Good News was that I'd already read 160 books, so I'd completed the challenge. And as I read through the comments, I noted that there were several people who thought 50 books in one year was too easy. So this year, I present a challenge: Read at least 100 books by the end of 2010.

There are no real rules for the challenge, but I always have some rules for myself, so if you're looking for some structure, here they are:
No re-reads. I don't list the same book twice. If I've read it before, in a previous year, then that's ok. But I don't like seeing the same book more than once on one list.
No cheating.If I read a book halfway, or skip through spots, then it's not allowed to count. Because I haven't read an entire book.
No picture books. I never list picture books, even though I read several of them, usually to my sisters. I don't list them because they hardly contain more text than one of those phone company mailers that at&t sends out every other day.

Simple, really. And if you're thinking that 100 may be too difficult, then think of it this way:
That's three days per book, with 65 free days, for things like work and vacations (although if you're anything like me, you look at a vacation as an opportunity to read more then usual.), and sick days, and anything else that you can think of.
And even if you only have one hour to read every day, if you average, say, 90 pages an hour, then you can read roughly a 270 page book in three days. Which, admittedly, isn't huge, but that's still a fairly susbtantial book.

So go, get started! Post here everytime you've read a new book. Keep a list, and when you reach a milestone (25..50..100...1..) let us know! Tell us if you've read a great book that everyone should know about, or if you've read a terrible book everyone should avoid eye-contact with.

Good Luck, and happy reading!
(at first I accidentally typed 'lick' instead of 'luck'. I was amused.)

EDITS:

-BOOKS MAY BE WRITTEN IN ANY LANGUAGE. A book is a book, no matter what country it comes from.

-PLAYS ARE ACCEPTABLE. Any play goes. Although obviously you can't just go see it. That's like watching the HP movies and then calling yourself a Potterhead.

-GRAPHIC NOVELS COUNT. They're not picture books, because they have more than 5 words a page.
Some people are counting them as half of a book, so that works too :D

Hey you! (Yes. YOU.)

~> If you have a question, feel free to PM or comment me, and I'll put the answer up there ^^

100 Book Challenge 2010 is now over.

you can find this year's challenge here: 100 Book Challenge 2011

Tags: 100, 2010, Books, activity, book, challenge, fun, lick, nerds, reading

Views: 896

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

1. Looking For Alaska - John Green
2. The Sight - David Clement-Davies
3. The Messanger - I don't remember his name...I think it's Marc or something...
I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak? If it's not that, I don't know.
1. A Case of Exploding Mangoes - Mohammed Hanif - loved it!!!! The plot developed so subtly, it was so funny in places, and all done in a quite muted, understated style which I loved.
2. Black Swan Green - David Mitchell (quite different from his others, but a brilliant coming-of-age story and a great read)
3. The Reluctant Fundamentalist - Mohsin Hamid (very cleverly done)
4. The last Kind of Scotland - Giles Foden (I love it when a writer can make you love a book while loathing the protagonist)
5. The Schopenhauer Cure - Irvin G. Yalom - I don't like not finishing books so I managed to cringe my way through all of this but aaarrrggggghhh!!! I thought it was so, so badly written, the characters were complete caricatures, and for a book in which conversation is so central - the story centers around a therapy group - how could any editor let an author get away such utterly unnatural dialogue!?!? I really don't understand all the rave reviews on Amazon, but there are at least one or two other people who felt the same way I did, so I'm not completely weird :)
Current: 6. Small Island - Andrea Levy - loving it so far!
Oh I read Small Island last year and really enjoyed it. I hear she's coming out with a new book very soon..
1. This lullaby by sarah Dessen
2. Let it snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
3. Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
4. The lovely bones (in progress)
the other hand/little bee bu chris cleave. absolutly beautyfull.
http://www.chriscleave.com/main/?page_id=726
1. Crooked Little Vein - Warren Ellis
2. Anathem - Neal Stephenson
3. And the Hippos Were Boiled In Their Tanks - Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs
4. Zodiac - Neal Stephenson

Haven't had the time to read lately with moving and life stuff getting in the way, maybe 50 would be a more reasonable goal for me. heh
20. Skellig - David Almond.
loved it <3
His other books freaked me out a bit, but I adored this one
Really? They freaked you out? Which ones were those? I've only read Jackdaw Summer and The Savage, but David Almond is quickly becoming one of my favourite children's authors..
Understandable. I read Clay, and...yeah. It creeped me out a bit.
Clay and Heaven Eyes were both a bit...odd. Of course, I was only 11 or 12, but I found Clay especially distressing XD I've also read...I can't remember what it's called. Kit's Wilderness, maybe? That one was a bit strange too.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service