Nerdfighters

Here we go again.

Ladies and gentlemen, transgenders and androgynes, I present to you:

100 Book Challenge 2011

There are no real rules for the challenge, but I always have some rules for myself, so if you're looking for some structure, here they are:

No re-reads. I don't list the same book twice. If I've read it before, in a previous year, then that's ok. But I don't like seeing the same book more than once on one list.
No cheating.If I read a book halfway, or skip through spots, then it's not allowed to count. Because I haven't read an entire book.
No picture books. I never list picture books, even though I read several of them, usually to my sisters. I don't list them because they hardly contain more text than one of those phone company mailers that at&t sends out every other day.

Simple, really. And if you're thinking that 100 may be too difficult, then think of it this way:
That's three days per book, with 65 free days, for things like work and vacations (although if you're anything like me, you look at a vacation as an opportunity to read more than usual.), and sick days, and anything else that you can think of.
And even if you only have one hour to read every day, if you average, say, 90 pages an hour, then you can read roughly a 270 page book in three days. Which, admittedly, isn't huge, but that's still a fairly susbtantial book.

So go, get started! Post here everytime you've read a new book. Keep a list, and when you reach a milestone (25..50..100...1..) let us know! Tell us if you've read a great book that everyone should know about, or if you've read a terrible book that everyone should avoid eye-contact with.

Good Luck, and happy reading!

FYI:

-BOOKS MAY BE WRITTEN IN ANY LANGUAGE. A book is a book, no matter what country it comes from.

-PLAYS ARE ACCEPTABLE. Any play goes. Although obviously you can't just go see it. That's like watching the Harry Potter movies and then calling yourself a Potthead.

-GRAPHIC NOVELS COUNT. They're not picture books, because they have more than 5 words a page.
Some people are counting them as half of a book, so it's really up to you.

Hey you! (Yes. YOU.)

~> If you have a question, feel free to PM or comment me, and I'll put the answer up there ^^

Tags: 2011, books, challenge, reading

Views: 3745

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Aww. I'm hoping to read Anna and the French Kiss next.  And YAY for Matched love. I really loved it too :)  In Torment, I much prefer Miles.  Daniel does nothing for me.)

You've got excellent taste in books! I loved Graceling!  But eh, to I Am Number Four (the whole controversy of how it was made has had an impact on the way I felt about the book. Will probably still go see the movie though)

Miles was cool but I'm always rooting for the bad guys, so I was like "YES BABY!" when Cam hit the "other" Luce with a starshot hehe

Thanks. I'm always trying to make more people around me read but somehow they don't like the same books I like. Meh. Whatever.

Which controversy? I didn't hear anything about it. (Which might be linked to the fact that the alps are a lot like world's end...)

Looking for Alaska
If I told you I loved you
Winnie the Pooh

And I'm reading Sence and Sencability, and Harry Potter 4 at the moment.

Just finished my fifth book, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky. I didn't know anything about the book before I started reading but I really enjoyed it. I've also read "Catching Fire" (still waiting on Mockingjay!) "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card (it was.... different), "Thirteen Reasons Why," by Jay Asher and "The Dangerous Days of Daniel X" by James Patterson. It was a quick read, didn't like it much. 

I'm currently reading "Looking For Alaska" and "A study in Scarlet".  

So far I've read HP PS, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay, The Iron Man (Giant), Boy Meets Boy, and Paper Towns.

I am currently reading An Abundance of Katherines and HP CoS.

Hopefully by Sunday I'll be able to begin The Ender's Game and Dune.

At least four of these books though are rereads from when I was much younger. I haven't decided if I want to count them yet.

Behind the ball, but my first will be Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

I've read The Bell Jar, Alice Through the Looking Glass and Where Rainbows End... I've read others but I can't remember them all D:
Second book finished: Looking for Alaska

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but I've finished another book sent to me from the publishers from review. I've powered through 8 so far this month! May or may not read one more before getting onto some of my OWN books that I bought myself. We shall see.

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa - It's already been published in the US but not here in the UK.  I'm not the biggest fan of fairies, but this one definitely held my interest. On her 16th birthday, Megan Chase's little brother is kindnapped by fairies Megan follows him into the fairie world in order to save him.  She must learn the truth about her father, her best friend and how difficult it is to make deals and contracts with the fey. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series..

I'm a little late starting this (16 days into the new year!), but I'm going to try my best! I've got two on my list so far: The Pact by Jodi Picoult and Boom! by Mark Haddon
My 10th book of the year (hurrah!)  Long Reach by Peter Cocks - this one is another book sent to me for review by the publishers.  Not normally the sort of the book I would read, but still really good.  Eddie Savage learns in a short period of time that his older brother has been working undercover and that he's dead. At 17, Eddie decides to join up and follow in his brother's footsteps, getting involved with a really dangerous crime family in London.
Is it possible that we could all mention something about the book or how we felt about it?  I use this forum thread for book recommendations but it's harder when it's just the title and author that's listed.  Please and thank you :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service