Nerdfighters

Here we go again.

Ladies and gentlemen, transgenders and androgynes, I present to you:

100 Book Challenge 2011

There are no real rules for the challenge, but I always have some rules for myself, so if you're looking for some structure, here they are:

No re-reads. I don't list the same book twice. If I've read it before, in a previous year, then that's ok. But I don't like seeing the same book more than once on one list.
No cheating.If I read a book halfway, or skip through spots, then it's not allowed to count. Because I haven't read an entire book.
No picture books. I never list picture books, even though I read several of them, usually to my sisters. I don't list them because they hardly contain more text than one of those phone company mailers that at&t sends out every other day.

Simple, really. And if you're thinking that 100 may be too difficult, then think of it this way:
That's three days per book, with 65 free days, for things like work and vacations (although if you're anything like me, you look at a vacation as an opportunity to read more than usual.), and sick days, and anything else that you can think of.
And even if you only have one hour to read every day, if you average, say, 90 pages an hour, then you can read roughly a 270 page book in three days. Which, admittedly, isn't huge, but that's still a fairly susbtantial book.

So go, get started! Post here everytime you've read a new book. Keep a list, and when you reach a milestone (25..50..100...1..) let us know! Tell us if you've read a great book that everyone should know about, or if you've read a terrible book that everyone should avoid eye-contact with.

Good Luck, and happy reading!

FYI:

-BOOKS MAY BE WRITTEN IN ANY LANGUAGE. A book is a book, no matter what country it comes from.

-PLAYS ARE ACCEPTABLE. Any play goes. Although obviously you can't just go see it. That's like watching the Harry Potter movies and then calling yourself a Potthead.

-GRAPHIC NOVELS COUNT. They're not picture books, because they have more than 5 words a page.
Some people are counting them as half of a book, so it's really up to you.

Hey you! (Yes. YOU.)

~> If you have a question, feel free to PM or comment me, and I'll put the answer up there ^^

Tags: 2011, books, challenge, reading

Views: 3803

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It seems I don't update this as often as I should.

The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight by Jenny Valentine - One of my favourite authors, I've had this book on my shelf unread for far too long.

The Medusa Project: The Set Up by Sophie McKenzie - Great start to exciting series about four teenagers with special powers.

The Spook's Apprentice by Joseph Delaney - Love this fantasy book for MG readers! Very exciting.

Wasted by Nicola Morgan - Has a strange format, narrated by a third person but still an utterly gripping story about luck and chance.

Pretty Things by Sarra Manning - I adore Sarra Manning and this book about four teenagers involved in a drama workshop over the summer.

Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery by Keren David - another author I admire.  Even more so after finishing this book about a 16 year old girl who has won the lottery.

Threads by Sophia Bennett - I've seen this one described as a 'fashion fairytale' and it just that. Brilliant.

Tiger's Voyage by Colleen Houck - third in this completely addictive series. Keeps getting better.

Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan - I love how this series feels like it's less about a plot and more about characterisation. Couldn't get enough of it.

Betrayal by Lee Nichols - Second book in a trilogy about Emma Vaile, the most powerful ghostkeeper in centuries. I couldn't put it down.

Here's the books I've been reading lately:

That Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith - Impossibly adorable and romantic story about two people who meet on an aeroplane.

One Night That Changes Everything by Lauren Barnholdt - Lauren Barnholdt intrigues me, I shall pick up more of her books.

But I Love Him by Amanda Grace - a heartbreaking story about an abusive relationship.

The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott - I love Elizabeth Scott.  I don't generally like reading books like this one, about a girl who has a crush on her best friend's boyfriend, but it worked.

Unleashed by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie - First book in an exciting new trilogy about werewolves! I love werewolf stories.

The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman - First book I've read by Robin Wasserman and I absolutely loved it!

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa - Third book in her Iron Fey series. Loved it. Can't wait for The Iron Knight!

Tempest by Julie Cross - This book absolutely surprised me! I LOVED it. I stayed up too late reading it, I cried in public over this book. Wonderful.

One question: do audiobooks count?

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt - A very cute and romantic story that also touches on some more serious topics.

Fracture by Megan Miranda - not published until January of 2012, but it's one of my favourite books that I've read recently! You should check it out.

A Beautiful Evil by Kelly Keaton - not published until February, this is a fun sequel to Darkness Becomes Her.

This Is Not Forgiveness by Celia Rees - Very interesting and hard hitting contemporary novel by Celia Rees (who generally writes historical fiction) Not out until February

The Other Life by Susanne Winnaker - Another February release, this one sees LA as hit by a rabies virus that turns the majority of the population into zombies.

The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan - I thought this book was clever and sweet, detailing a relationship in dictionary format.

Love Story by Jennifer Echols - I adore Jennifer Echols, and this story within a story was quite sweet as well. Though not quite as good as Going Too Far, which will be hard to beat.

Shug by Jenny Han - Loved Han's Summer series, so thought I'd try this book aimed at a younger than teen audience. Loved it. Cried at the end.

Home For Christmas by Cally Taylor - I don't read a lot of adult fiction, but felt in the mood for some good chick lit :)

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson - I do adore Maureen Johnson, but I felt like this book needed to be longer or more fleshed out or something.  Still enjoyable, but wanted more.

Prized by Caragh O'Brien - sequel to Birthmarked, another dystopian teen novel that was hard to put down.

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce - Loved this fairy tale retelling of Hansel and Gretel.

Mist by Kathryn James - A sweet MG book about a girl entering an elven world in order to rescue her sister.

Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver - this book is so sweet and sad and absolutely magical! I loved it.

I am going to take up this challenge in 2012 because there's no way I can read 100 books in less than a month! 
But I love this idea! 

I'm with ya on that one.

Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley - Absolutely BEAUTIFUL book.  Seriously, I fell in love with it.

Tempest Rising by Tracey Deebs - I was sort of unsure about this book for awhile because it's about mermaids, but once I started reading it, it turns out that I really liked it!

Trapped by Michael Northrop - Subtly scary book about seven teenagers trapped in their high school during the worst snow storm ever. 

Night School by CJ Daughtery - Really fab book not published until the new year about a creepy boarding school.

Blood Promise by Richelle Mead - The fourth (I believe?) book in the Vampire Academy series. I heart this series so much.

The Lost Saint by Bree Despain - Second book in this series about werewolves. I enjoyed it.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand - Lots of people have recommended this book to me and I'm very glad that I finally got around to reading it!

I've now gone WAY past 200 books. So even though I will continue reading books this year, I'll stop posting them on here.  Until Natalie posts the 100 book challenge for 2012 of course!

Woot! Just finished up with my reading of A Midsummer Night's Dream last week and am already two books into 2012(assuming that they count).

64. A hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
65. Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks
66. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
67. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
68. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
69. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
70. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
71. The Looking Glass Wars by Fred Beddor
72. The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

And I guess that's the end for me :(

If I got the book for Christmas, started it, put it away again and finish it in 2012, does that count as a book?

I'd say that counts for 2012.

Question! Does non-fiction count? Also, what about Holy books?

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service