Nerdfighters

The rules are the same as last year! (click here for more details)

You have a year to read 100 books. Add replies with what you have read and possibly a little description to tell your fellow Nerdfighters a little bit about them. 

Good luck and get reading!

Tags: 2012, books, challenge

Views: 3836

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

8: Will Grayson, Will Grayson

How was it, I've been debating about reading that one?

It was absolutely wonderful! Now, I'm embarrassed to say this on the nerdfighter website, but... I preferred David Levithan's chapters. Of course, the main reason I'd suggest it is that it is the single funniest thing I've ever read.

9: Paper Towns

9. Everlasting by Alyson Noel, it's the last book in the immortals series, so of course all of the loose ends are tied up, and we're left with a predictable, yet pleasant, ending.

9. The Magicians by Lev Grossman

I read this for an online book club and it was so annoying. The characters were unrelated and the main character is a total d-bag. It took so long to read it because I had no interest in it

Coming in a bit late, so here comes a large post:

1. "An Abundance of Katherines" - John Green (Despite being a Nerdfighter for a while now, I had never read one of John Green's books before. So I read a lot at the beginning of this year...)

2. "The Great Gatsby" - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3. "The Fault in Our Stars" - John Green

4. "Paper Towns" - John Green

5. "Looking for Alaska" - John Green

6. "The Lover's Dictionary" - David Levithan (Hated it, actually. A total waste of time, in my opinion.)

7. "The Hunger Games" - Suzanne Collins (Also hated it, actually, but I had to read all three before seeing the movie, obviously. I guess I'm just not a "Hunger Games" fan. *shrug *)

8. "Catching Fire" - Suzanne Collins (Worst book in the series, in my opinion. Let me repeat that: in my opinion.)

9. "Mockingjay" - Suzanne Collins

10. "Neverwhere" - Neil Gaiman

11. "Mister God, This is Anna" - Fynn (Despite not being religious in the least, I highly recommend this book. It's beautiful, just so long as you're willing to deal with some (highly non-traditional) Christian thinking.)

12. "On the Natural History of Destruction" - W.G. Sebald (Essay on the literary response (or lack thereof) to the bombing of German cities in WWII, as well as a few essays on obscure German writers of the post-war period.)

13. "How to Buy a Love of Reading" - Tanya Egan Gibson (RECOMMENDED x 1000! Brilliant writing, brilliant characters, brilliant commentary on literature/high society/the world.)

14. "Stories and Texts for Nothing" - Samuel Beckett

15. "Ship Breaker" - Paolo Bacigalupi

16. "Wise Children" - Angela Carter

17. "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" - James Joyce

18. "Coraline" - Neil Gaiman

19. "Anna and the French Kiss" - Stephanie Perkins

20. "The Ruby in the Smoke" - Philip Pullman

21. "V for Vendetta" - Alan Moore/David Lloyd (Meh. Only 'ok.' Read Alan Moore's later stuff, though. It's awesome.)

22. "The Kite Runner" - Khaled Hosseini

23. "Wuthering Heights" - Emily Brontë (First tried to read it in the 8th grade, and hated it. Read it again, and really liked it, much to my surprise.)

24. "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" - Joseph Campbell

Apparently, this is a really famous book and presents some really interesting ideas about the interconnectedness of world mythology and how that relates to our society. I really didn't like it, though. There was a lot of psychoanalysis, and I felt like Campbell didn't really make any point; he just told a lot of (admittedly sometimes rather cool) stories.

10. Destined by P.C. Cast

11. An Abundance of Katherines by John Green.

I'm in! (starting a bit late but anyway) I've just finished the book The Dwarf by Pär Lagerkvist and it was surprisingly good. The book discusses evils of humanity and is really interesting to read. It's not exactly one of my favorite books but I still would recommend it to everyone.

12. 8th Confession by James Patterson

Yes! I will do this!

And this year I have read all 3 hunger games books and I'm currently reading Modelland (do not recommend. it's by Tyra Banks. she should not be writing novels.) and I have Sarah Dessen's new book and The Help already queued up. How many books have people already read? I need to catch up!!

okay so, I'm up to 3 or 4, I suppose. I have a lot of reading to do!!

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service