Nerdfighters

So, I usually write down quotes I really like from books, but since this was one of those books that you read the moment it comes out, and in a hurry, I didn't take the time to write any down!

So, post your favorite quotes from the book here! :D

Here is one I managed to get...
"Look at all those cul-de-sacs, the streets that turn in on themselves all the houses that were built to fall apart. All those paper people in their paper houses burning the furniture to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking the beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things paper-thin and paper-frail."

OH, I got another, same general section...

"But it was the last string. It was a lame string, for sure, but it was the one I had left. And every paper girl needs at least one string, right?"

Views: 19095

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"It's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that you would want to be with someone just because they're pretty. Like choosing breakfast cereal based on color instead of taste"

-That was from memory, and I don't think it's entirely correct, but I try.
"It is so hard to leave — until you leave. And then it's the easiest goddamned thing in the world."

"Okay, you're the Grammar King again. You've regained your throne. Now take me to SeaWorld."

"It was pee!" one of them shouted at us.

I leaned down towards her. "Ruthie, please."
"And you don't want me to tell Mommy and Dad," she said.
"Correct."
"Five Dollars."

"Dude, I don't want to talk about Lacey's prom shoes. And I'll tell you why: I have this thing that makes me really uninterested in prom shoes. It's called a penis."

"Can we call Ben then?"
"No. Ben's an asshole."
"Of course he is."

"GIVE ME SOMETHING OT I WILL PEE ON THIS SEAT. AND HURRY!"

"I'M NOT BEING MODEST. I JUST DIDN'T WANT TO DIE."

"That's what I really like — Lacey but not the visible Lacey."
"Oh, hurl."

"Um, are we feeling the need to pee, or is that just me?"
"That is, as usual, just you."

"Maybe it's more like you said before, all of us being cracked open. Like, each of us starts out as a watertight vessel. And these things happen— these people leave us, or don't love us, or don't get us, or we don't get them, and we lose and fail and hurt one another. And the vessel cracks open in places. And I mean, yeah, once the vessel cracks open, the end becomes inevitable. Once it starts to rain inside the Osprey, it will never be remodeled. But there is all this time between when the cracks start to open up and we finally fall apart. And it's only in that time that we can see one another, because we see out of ourselves through the cracks and into others through theirs. When did we see each other face-to-face? Not until you saw into my cracks and I saw into yours. Before that, we were just looking at ideas of each other, like looking at your window shade but never seeing inside. But once the vessel cracks, the light can get in. The light can get out."
OMG! I was looking for good quotes for a project, and I came accross this and saw one of your quotes. THANK YOU
"I missed her I missed her I missed her I miss her"
And Margo's whole speech about trying not to hurt Q

"Here is this girl I love and cannot follow. And I hope this is the hero's errand because not following her is the hardest thing I've ever had to do"
As much as I love these quotes, I have a hard time picking any of them to by my favorite. Alone, they seem empty, alluding to a greater whole that I know and love as "Paper Towns." They seem like, not to be too pun-y, "Paper Quotes."

Maybe it comes down to the fact that a thing is more than the sum of its parts. Even if you combined all of these awesome quotes, you still wouldn't have the full thing. The full experience and emotion that John communicates. You'd have a good idea, but you definitely wouldn't have that. And that is what I like to take with me. That's what I remember, the experience, not the words themselves...

I'm feeling philosophical tonight, I'm sorry.
I enjoyed reading your philosophical thoughts.

Still, I think the words/quotes remind us of the experience; they don't try to replace it.

"But ultimately I do not believe that she was only matter. The rest of her must be recycled, too. I believe now that we are greater than the sum of our parts."

-John Green has a quote for that. Lol, Looking For Alaska

"We bring the fucking rain" - Margo
Does anyone remember what page "What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person" is on? I just devoured this book in like an afternoon and I went through and highlighted what I liked to begin with, then I got too wrapped up in it to worry about it, so I'm trying to go back and find the ones I really liked... and cant find that one!
page 282, in the middle.
i highlighted it =]
"By the power of the superglue beer sword, I designate you my driver!"

"But you see, I am in a similar situation. I do not control the little devil sitting on my left shoulder. The devil is saying, 'PRINT THE PICTURE PRINT THE PICTURE TAPE IT UP ALL OVER SCHOOL DO IT DO IT DO IT.' And then on my right shoulder, there is a tiny little white angel. And the angel is saying, 'Man, I sure as shit hope all those freshmen get their money bright and early on Monday morning.' So do I, little angel. So do I."
"A paper town for a paper girl"
~Margo Roth Spiegelman
By far my favorite. So much meaning in only six words.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service