Nerdfighters

I'm the only person in my family who thinks cartoons are worth watching. Everyone else in my house thinks they're simplistic, brain-melting wastes of time. And they're right. About SOME cartoons. For instance, and I'm sorry, I know I'm majorly in the minority here, but I consider Spongebob Squarepants to be the ultimate atrocity in modern animation. But there are others, becons of light in an endless wasteland of corporate soullessness. There are cartoons that push the boundaries, and redefine what animation means.

This thread was inspired by the Avatar: The Last Airbender thread. There were so many enthusiastic replies there, that I know there are a lot of Nerdfighters out there who think like I do. So I want to discuss what's good about animation. Here are some of my favorites:

Avatar: The Last Airbender-There's a whole thread on this show, so I won't go too in-depth. I love Avatar for its rich and complex world, its rich and compelling characters, its graceful and believable art style, its fascinating architecture and it's astounding animal life.

Gargoyles- The 90's at its best. The characters and environments were vivid, the voice acting was close to flawless, it's story arcs were gripping and complex, and it's jokes were, well, jokes.

The Weekenders- Ended before its time. A childrens show that didn't talk down to children, what a concept! This was my very first introduction to the wonderful world of sarcasm and snark! Also, JASON MARSDEN!!! The voice talent was exceptional. Beyond exceptional.

W.I.T.C.H- Based on a comic I never read and probably never will read. The worlds are richly imagined, the characters develop naturally and fluidly over time. The emotions are raw and real, the heroines are relatable and serve as strong, positive role-models for young girls. The drama is gripping, and for once there's a cartoon that's not afraid of putting the protagonists in real danger, and acknowleging it. Also? JASON MARSDEN!!!

Fillmore-Like The Weekenders, this was a rare example of Disney gone right. It takes the crime drama and brings it to childhood without being patronizing or dumbing it down. It's the fun and irreverence of American animation but at a higher level. Orlando Brown does a fantastic job voicing the titular character, Safty Patrol Officer Cornelius Fillmore.

Spider-Man: The Animated Series-I love comic books, I adore Spider-Man, and this show is why. Even with rediculous FCC restrictions on the dialogue and action, Marvel managed to bring the web-slinger to televised glory for the first time in decades!

There are a lot more cartoons that I love. Danny Phantom, Chaotic, Batman: The Animated Series, just to name a few. I want to know what cartoons opened your eyes, and why they were so good for you.

And I won't hate you if you like Spongebob. But I will most likely look at you funny for a very long time.

Tags: animation, cartoons, noteworthy

Views: 64

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no one mention KA BLAM.

ohh man.

ACTION LEAGUE. NOW!

starring, The flesh...he's super strong...and super naked.
THUNDERGIRL. she flies. like thunder

NOOO IVE STARTED MYSELF UP AGAIN
Why is Spongebob so bad? I like all of the of subtle political messages.
I used to love gargoyles! I should really start watching that again. Ha the week enders XD I love Tino. I also love the guy who does Carver's voice, Phil Lamarr. He is such an amazing voice actor.
OK... Rocko's Modern Life.. hands down.. my favorite.

I also watched a lot of Pepper Ann... was i the only one? She was WAY to cool for 7th grade..

And a lot of people disagree, but for some reason I am very much in love with Chowder.. it makes me laugh.. so shoot me!

But I did love The Weekenders.. it was the only Disney show i ever liked...
what about Batman:the animated series

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service