Nerdfighters

I Just want to know; what do people think time is; a Vector or a Scalar?

Post with your opinion, I want to see what most people think about this.

Ok, to avoid confusion:

A Scalar is a quantity that has only magnitude(size); for example: Distance, Speed, Mass.

A Vector is a quantity that has magnitude(size) and Direction(that it acts in); for example: Displacement, Velocity, and Weight.

Tags: Time

Views: 54

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But how can we confirm that time is a physical dimension or has any physical properties? It's different from things like mass or velocity because those have physical properties that can be felt and/or seen.

We only see time with clocks, which may not be accurate at all. Plus we don't really see time, we just see the measurement of it.

We also see the effects of it.

Ah but, mass is no dimension and velocity is a combination of 4 dimensions, and we cannot see Velocity, only it's effect. 

another reason that we struggle to view the effects of time is because we only see 3 dimensionally

I think it's a vector, but currently the only direction it is moving is foreward
Which is my belief exactly, or at least that is the only direction we are moving through it

I think it's a vector, like if time is our movement through a forth dimention or something. The present is a snapshot of the other three at any given point along the forth, maybe...

Problem with that for me, as an ignorant fool, is that it implies that the forth dimention is all laid out, and everything is predetermined, unless the forth dimention expands just like space does into nothing, which it probably does.

Ah! but that isn't necessarily true, if you have heard of the multiverse theory then you will know that is not exactly true, if the theory is true then every variable in the universe creates a new dimension, and so this time line is not let laid out, because each variable creates a new dimension, we will go down one of near infinity possible futures, and so we do not know what will come next, which is the problem with time travel, there is no certainty that you will go down a similar path, it is nearly impossible to get back.

That seems a bit wastefull, but who am I to say :) It's just easier for me to think that the future doesn't exist yet until it does, which is what I imagine happens continuously in the present. Space expands into nothing, why shouldn't timedimention?

But now as I type, and I think about the past, and the possibility that it in theory could be possible to go backwards...It should mean, that at every point in history or timedimention(s) there are people and stuff living/existing there in their present. And who to say our present is the presentmost? Nevertheless as there are more or less known history between now and back then (doesn't matter when), if their paths (future) are not predetermined by the history known to us, then who's to say it's our past we've travelled too, and could our past really exist then anymore? I guess I get your point, somewhat ;) It wouldn't just be an infinite number of futures, but an infinite number of pasts too.

in a way I guess you are right, that there are an infinite number of ways of getting to where we are now. The main problem with trying to imagine it is that we only sense things in three dimensions, not four, say for example an ant, it can only see in two dimensions, and so if you were to fire something along the third dimension they would not view it as it was. say for example a ball, all they would see would be an expanding and then contracting circle along the other two dimensions, very difficult to imagine indeed.
I look at the difference between vectors and scalars in the way I look at the difference between distance and displacement. i.e. in distance you are measuring how far you have travelled and in displacement you are measuring how far you have travelled from your starting point and in what direction. So I guess before you could define whether time is a scalar or a vector you need to answer the question, do you see time as only going forwards or can you conceive of their one day being the possibility of one day travelling backwards? Because if you define it as only going forwards you would measure it in the way you measure distance because it has a set line it could follow and a set direction so it would be a scalar but (and I may only be thinking this because I have watched way too much doctor who in the lead up to the new season) if you conceive of the possibility of moving both forward and back in time and if you measured how far you had travelled not by the amount (as in I travelled forward 5 years then back ten therefore I have travelled 15 years) but in the more sensible (travelled forward five years then back 10 years so I am 5 years back) then and only then would I define time as a vector because back 5 years gives both a magnitude and a direction. Sorry for how scattered this is but the newest episode of doctor who airs in a few hours and I am in australia so it is late at night and I am excited.
Ah, but it does not have to have travelled backwards to be considered a vector, only that it is possible for it to travel backwards
Wait a minute! Are you saying that anti matter could in fact be made up of techion particle!? (particles travelling backwards in time)

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service