Nerdfighters

OK everyone knows about Harry Potter and Twilight and the other best sellers but what are some of the best undiscovered books out there

*my favorite undiscovered books: Shock Point, Twisted, Right Behind You, and The Scilenced

Tags: best, books, favorite, undiscovered

Views: 4410

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

A Proscriptive Relationship, its unpublished, its on wattpad.com. Also, My life with the walter boys, also on wattpad. In other words, I LOVE WATTPAD!!!
How about The Named Series by Marianne Curley or Blue is for Nightmares by Laurie Faria Stolarz. LOVED both of these series.
i love the kane chronicles, which might not be considered undiscovered, because the author has another best-seling book (percy jackson) but i've never heard anyone else mention reading it before.

My favorite book series when I was growing up was the Get Real series by Linda Ellerbee. Casey Smith was my HERO!!

And I will be seriously impressed if anyone here has read those books. I KNOW I can't be the only one, but I just can't find anyone else on the internet that's even heard of them!!

Some of my favorite books are from the dusty shelves of my grandfather's not defunct library (that house no longer is). Books like The Jungle Fighters, David Goes to Baffinland, and A Story Like the Wind were some that I read over and over. I believe Laurens van der Post's book is the only one to still be in print, despite David Putnam being the son of a publisher...

Has anyone read Just In Case by Meg Rosoff? It's brilliant. 

It's so unfair that crappy authors like smeyer get so much attention while deserving ones like the one above don't.One of the worst kinds of literature-related WorldSuck.

I have the advantage of being a little older than some of you (I'm twenty, gah), and some of the books I read in my early teens are still pretty good. Plus, being older they sell for pretty low prices on Amazon ($0.01 to maybe $3)! Some of these are mentioned previously in the thread but I doubt any of you want to read all 36 pages.

The Sight by David Clement-Davies, Dragon's Bait by Vivianne Vande Velde, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, Lirael/Sabriel/Abhorsen by Garth Nix, Witch Child (or anything really) by Celia Rees,the Sweep series by Cate Tiernan, Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno.

The Book Thief! Yay! No one ever mentions it! :)

• Venomous by Christopher Krovatin (nothing says 'literary gold' quite like fuc*ed up goth kids being happy)
  • The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl by Barry Lyga (Unrequited love and crushed dreams have never been so funny)
  • The Bloodring/Rogue Mage series by Faith hunter (Nothing like some good old angelic apocalypse fiction)
  • Bones of Faerie by Janni Lee Simner (Ah, magical racism...)
  • Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick (169 pages of Scholastic reading that I will never forget)
  • Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex (the bulk will make you laugh till you pee, but the ending'll have you screaming bloody murder)

I'm not sure these are all considered 'undiscovered', but no one I've ever mentioned them too has heard of them.

Freak the Mighty was fantastic. Really short but so perfect and direct. I cried soooo much while reading that.

My favorite obscure author is George MacDonald, a Scottish Victorian writer who hugely influenced C.S. Lewis. (He likely wouldn't be the same if he hadn't fallen in love w/ MacDonald's "Phantastes.") MacDonald's written everything from novels to sermons, poetry, and even fairy tales! My favorites are his fairy tales, "The Princess and the Goblin," and its sequel, "The Princess and Curdie." Also, if you love puns and word plays, then "The Light Princess" will rock your socks (btw, all aforementioned tales are found in "The George MacDonald Treasury" - 8 awesome fairy tales in one, yay!). ^_^
My favorite is Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. They recently turned it into a movie in the UK. Another one is Breakfast with Scot which they also turned into a movie.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service