Nerdfighters

I was kinda curious as to what kinds of books (or whatever else, I suppose) you all have been reading. So..

What are you reading right now?
How are you liking it?
What are your thoughts?

I'm about two-thirds through Circle the Soul Softly, by Davida Wills Hurwin. It's the third book of hers that I've read in two days, and I'm really liking it (fairly obviously, I suppose). It's really interesting--it's about a pretty 'normal' girl (whatever that means) named Katie whose father died in the recent past; her mom just got remarried, and the whole family moved, and now Katie is uncovering memories of having been molested as a child, and she has to come to terms with her past and her father's memory.. it's kind of about figuring out who you are, and what makes people who they are, whether an action can define a person.. anyway it's really good. Highly recommended :)

So what words have you been taking in?

Tags: books, current, reading

Views: 3679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Until you go all out and start "dying" in your best friend's lap. Then it's just fun. :P
Screw them and have fun.
I'm currently reading A Forest for Callum by Frank MacDonald (a Canadian writer), and also rereading for approximately the 18th time Paper Towns by a certain little-known author named John Green-- I'm currently designing a unit plan for an English methods course based on that novel, and I think that by the time I get the unit designed, I will have the book memorized. (Don't get me wrong-- this is NOT a bad thing) ... which reminds me... if any of you were studying Paper Towns in a class (grade 11 English, for example) what types of assignments would you want?? What topics do you think would fit in well with the book (obviously-- to me at least-- is the whole character analysis aspect) ... I'd love your suggestions!!
I think Paper Towns is a terrible book to teach because it is overly accessible. Everything is spelled out for you right there on the page, so it does not take much critical analysis to see the depth of the novel.
as much as I love paper towns, I have to agree.
Crime and Punishment for school

I've just finished my free reading book, and I haven't found a new one yet... any goods books people want to suggest?
Well I have a few suggestions for almost any genre...

For a classic I'd suggest A Separate Peace by John Knowles.
For an Fantasy, you should definitely read City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
For a historical fiction book, Nobody's Princess by Esther Friesner is really good.
And for a realistic fiction I'd say Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Piccoult.
For an in-class assignment I'm reading Antigone and I'm loving it. It's a really good and it's by Ancient Greek playwright Sophocles (possible spelling fail right there...).

For an out-of-school assignment I'm reading The Chocolate War, which so far is excellent. :]

[BTW-- I finished Paper Towns and it was fantastic... Really people, if you haven't read it yet then you haven't lived.;]
I am under the opinion that I was plenty alive before I read Paper Towns and that in reading it, I was in no way more alive.
I dunno, I think I was more AWARE of being alive after I'd read it.
I think I'm in the same boat as you with the Twilight Saga because I love them, but they've just gotten so huge I'm tired of it. Yet somehow... I still go *squee* when someone mentions them. XP
I'm reading the last of DJ MacHale's Pendragon books slooooooowwwly.
I'm also reading Walking in Circles Before Lying Down by Merrill Markoe.
I'm reading Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters, if only because I have to read Northanger Abbey for a class and Austen parodies are so very appealing right now.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service