Nerdfighters

I was kinda curious as to what kinds of books (or whatever else, I suppose) you all have been reading. So..

What are you reading right now?
How are you liking it?
What are your thoughts?

I'm about two-thirds through Circle the Soul Softly, by Davida Wills Hurwin. It's the third book of hers that I've read in two days, and I'm really liking it (fairly obviously, I suppose). It's really interesting--it's about a pretty 'normal' girl (whatever that means) named Katie whose father died in the recent past; her mom just got remarried, and the whole family moved, and now Katie is uncovering memories of having been molested as a child, and she has to come to terms with her past and her father's memory.. it's kind of about figuring out who you are, and what makes people who they are, whether an action can define a person.. anyway it's really good. Highly recommended :)

So what words have you been taking in?

Tags: books, current, reading

Views: 3761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Hunger Games always seems to be out in my local library, but I read the first chapter on the book's website and OMG I want to read it so badly! I'm currently reading Harry, A History by Melissa Anelli. Although I've never really been into the whole HP fandom, I still find it all fascinating.
Killer by Sara Shepard. I am so conflicted on theories right now! I don't know what to believe!
I'm reading The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
I'm reading the Twilight series-my first reread of the series with all four books-and I'm reading Breaking Dawn right now. Afterwards, I think I'll reread Paper Towns.
die trying by lee child. i will read them all, though without fail was a little boring, not enough action.
and yes; jack reacher is the ideal man.
The Essential Dalai Lama
I'm reading, or wa reading Taking Woodstock with my friend, but now I'm re-reading HBP so I can critique the movie :D
I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell. It's okay but I'm having trouble getting into it 'coz I've reread the beginning twice before and don't like starting where I left off after leaving it for a while. It's not too bad and it's mildly thought provoking.
I'm reading this too for school
I'm surprised at how much I like it, actually. I'm just stuck on one part that's going really slow and I can't seem to make myself want to read through it :\
I just finished katherines again. I think I might read paper towns again next.
I'm reading a couple things at the moment. Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan is an excellent book about food, specifically what actually goes into making the food we eat. I'm enjoying it immensely, however its not a book you can read in giant chunks.

I'm starting research for my thesis which I'll be writing next year, about Mormonism. For this purpose I've been slogging through a biography of Joseph Smith entitled "Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling." Honestly I was thinking this would be better than it has turned out. However, seeing as I just got to the part where he starts seeing angels, I'm gonna give it some more time to get going. I will say I feel sorry for him as a little kid. He got a major infection in his leg, and spent three years from ages 7-10 on crutches. No kid deserves that, I don't really care what kind of weirdo you turn out to be when you grow up.

I'm also in the middle (though I've taken a break from it) of "a People's History of the United States:1492-Present." If you want to shake up your idea of the mythical founding and history of the US, I highly recommend this book. Zinn is amazing.
I agree about Zinn. I feel like everyone studying American history should read A People's History of the United States because he offers such a great perspective on our history.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service