Nerdfighters

I was kinda curious as to what kinds of books (or whatever else, I suppose) you all have been reading. So..

What are you reading right now?
How are you liking it?
What are your thoughts?

I'm about two-thirds through Circle the Soul Softly, by Davida Wills Hurwin. It's the third book of hers that I've read in two days, and I'm really liking it (fairly obviously, I suppose). It's really interesting--it's about a pretty 'normal' girl (whatever that means) named Katie whose father died in the recent past; her mom just got remarried, and the whole family moved, and now Katie is uncovering memories of having been molested as a child, and she has to come to terms with her past and her father's memory.. it's kind of about figuring out who you are, and what makes people who they are, whether an action can define a person.. anyway it's really good. Highly recommended :)

So what words have you been taking in?

Tags: books, current, reading

Views: 4288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm reading The Mark of Athena in the Heroes of Olympus series. So addicting.

I just finished Terry Goodkind's Law of Nines this morning and now I'm reading "Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles."

I'm really liking it, there are more "fantasy" like names in this historical fiction than some fantasy novels! I keep looking these places up and they really do exist! Like Elphinstone tower.

rereading Mockingjay and started up Dragonslayer's Return ...among other things.

...so weird...

The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner. It discusses the theory that how happy you are corresponds to where you are on the globe. Eric visits the supposedly happiest nations on Earth and attempts to deduce what makes them so happy. It's really an interesting read. The only issue is that sometimes Eric writes like he's trying to be funny and its just kind of like "....oh..." but other than that, I highly recommend it!

I recently started Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I'm not really far enough in to make a decision about what I think yet, but it seems like an interesting story, and some of the prose is pretty good, though it can get a little too descriptive for my taste. 

Me too. :) I'm reading it for uni, and I've just gotten past the "second part". I really really like it. It's one of those books you can't put down, but unfortunately when you do you are hesitant to pick it up again.

I've just barely begun Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.  Can't really say my thoughts on it since I'm fewer than 30 pages in, but it IS Margaret Atwood!

I'm working my way through the complete Sherlock Holmes for the first time. I am surprised at how gripping each story is, and find the BBC adaptations to be even more mind blowing as I re-watch them. 

I haven't gotten through all of them, but a good number, and they're really great! It's certainly interesting to see what BBC keeps and what it changes.

Im rereading Jodie Picoult's My sister's keeper. as usual it is a deep, tragic and painful story but one that wil open your eyes to the realities of cancer and the way people and families cope with it. 

on the other hand since TFIOS is soon to screen next year june, i cant help but feel a little connection to Zach Sobeich, I mean call it coincidence and I know John Green repeatedly emphasized that it was pure fiction and what part of Fiction cant I not understand about the book if i keep on pressing in my mind the coincidences. BUt Zach's life was also very same with the book, like Augustus... pelvis lung, the picnic, the wish, the words of teh girlfriend etc etc 

so to get my mind off this i reread MSK, so far its just pushing me to think more than CLouds by Zach should be a TFIOS OST :) 

I loved My Sister's Keeper. It was the first book that ever made me cry.

I'm finishing up Tyler Anbinder's "Five Points," and next up is "Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2015   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service