Nerdfighters

Hey all, 

So I've just finished American Gods and before I move onto to my next unread Discworld book I thought I'd see if there was anything I hadn't heard of that attracted my curiosity. I'd love some book and author reccomendations, and who better to receive them from but other nerdfighters!

I like:

Neil Gaiman

Terry Pratchet

Kurt Vonnegut

Philip K Dick

I've heard R.A. Salvatore is good and I'm enjoy the game Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning that he wrote the history for. Anyone recommend where to begin with him?

Views: 116

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Have you ever read any Piers Anthony,  there are his Xanth novels.  The series starts with A Spell For Chameleon.  I also Geodessy series starting with Isle of Woman.

Ooo thanks, Isle of Woman in particular sounds like it has an interesting plot mechanic. 

Both of those sound interesting, thanks! When you say they his books require re-reading, do you mean you want to read them over and over or that they require rereading to make sense of them?

If you haven't already, you should definitely read the super co-authored "Good Omens", by Neil Gaiman AND Terry Pratchett.  It's super funny, intelligent, and thought-provoking.  It is easily one of the best books ever.

I have! I read that before I read American Gods actually, and you're right, its damned brilliant. I'm currently reading Neverwhere and enjoying it immensely, especially as I live in London :)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo will blow your mind, guaranteed. Best book in the world.

I absolutely love that series! The books are long, but I ending up finishing the trilogy in a week.

Those are some great authors! I just finished reading Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, it is a strange and wonderful alien invasion story. Also, Immortal by Gene Doucette was pretty good. 

Have you ever read any of Dan Simmons works? I would start with the Hyperion series. 

If you liked "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", you might like "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood (I did not mean to sound like Amazon there, sorry). Her writing is in a very similar style to Philip's and it's a very interesting sci-fi/dystopia story.

Read anything by Ridley Pearson or Brandon Mull. They both write fantastic YA books.

Machine Man by Max Barry one of the best books I've ever read I can't recommend it enough.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service