Nerdfighters

What is the book that's made you turn into an emotional wreck?

For me I think it is the Little Prince. When I first read it I thought 'pfft it's a children's book', but the older I get and the more I re-read it, I seem discover more and more truths about us as humans, and myself personally. 

And the end when the little boy dies - I can't help but cry like a baby. 

Views: 642

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

There are a lot of books that turned me into an emotional wreck, and I usually dislike those, but the one example a tearjerker I actually liked that comes to mind is Sara Zarr's Sweethearts.

There are a lot of them, but the one that killed me recently was "The shadow of the pomegranate tree". I didn't cry, but the first scene is one of the most depressing things I've ever read. Spanish inqisition burns thousands of books, lagacy of Muslims in Granada and that scene is amazingly powerful and quite depressing. If you ever come across this book, I would recommend you read it. 

I want to preface my post by saying that I read A LOT. I mean, the YA section of the library was pretty much the only thing that got me through high school.

Having said that, I have never cried more than when I read The Notebook. It's a very thin book, and I decided to start it while waiting for the bus. Maybe an hour later, I finished it on my second bus ride of the morning...and by the grace of Merlin mine was the next stop. I was bawling like a baby, right there on the city bus- not even controlled, tidy, furtive crying. Nope. Full on, ugly, scrunched-up-face sobbing. When we got to my stop, I hopped off, ran into my apartment, curled up on the floor, and continued to cry for who even knows how long. It was that serious.

I also cried a lot during the Harry Potter series, especially in the latter books. But, if I'm honest, I get really attached to (well-written) literary characters. So it isn't exactly difficult to toy with my emotions.

I know it's silly of me, but I actually cried the most over a book when I read Where the Red Fern Grows in fourth grade. A bawled over those dogs. 

-And, more recently, Life as We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer.

Moments during Harry Potter and....The Hunger Games. ;__; Oh GOD the Hunger Games. All the angsssttt

Snowden's death in Catch-22. The way Heller goes in to excruciating detail involving how his innards looked like rotten tomatoes while Snowden helplessy cries "I'm cold" is particularily powerful.

In Slaughterhouse-Five, the firebombing of Dresden has me teary-eyed as well. The way Vonnegut delivers it, with a critical "so it goes" mass level approaching, in contrast to the rest of the book, is really powerful.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. I'm planning on reading The Little Prince! 

Probably My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I didn't even want to read it but I in all seriousness walked around my house bawling for 2 hours after I finished that book. Runner up would have to be The Book Thief by Markus Zusack. I am such an easy crier in books though, it really doesn't take much.

Do fanfics count? My Little Dashie was so sad.

For me it was "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I don't know why, but it really triggered something.

For me i was Thirteen Reason Why. I don't ever remember crying so much in my life but the story was incredable!!

A.S.King's "Please Ignore Vera Dietz" really got to me. And not just at the end, I started crying in like the fifth chapter. I did have a personal sort of -similarity- to the main character though, so it might not hit everybody the way it hit me.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service