** EDIT **
I was able to remember the main character's name - Liza - and I found the book! It's "Colors Insulting to Nature" by Cintra Wilson. If you're able to find it, I would definitely recommend it!
Hello, Nerdfighters - I have a problem and I don't know who else to ask... I'm trying to find a book that I read and enjoyed a while ago. I owned a copy of it, but I lent it to someone who never gave it back, and I can't remember now who has it. Unfortunately I can't remember the title, the author, or any of the characters' names. Here's what I do remember:
- The author is female
- The book is fiction, although I believe she's written other non-fiction books about popular culture
- I read it around 2007-2008, and I think it was written around that time as well
- It's a humourous novel about a young girl who wants to be a Hollywood star although she has little talent and a very dysfunctional family; the book is a sort of critique of popular culture and its effect on people.
- I remember the mother used to work in Las Vegas, and the family lives in an abandoned firehouse.
- For some reason, I remember that Jack Black wrote a review that was on the back of the book, and he said it was his favourite book ever... (**Edit** I re-read the review, and he actually said Cintra Wilson is his favourite writer)
If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! I will be eternally grateful! DFTBA!
Hmmm.. nope. nothing. search for Jack Black's review?
I tried to search for it, but haven't found anything yet. I'll keep looking though and will let you know if I find anything.
Thanks for your help, guys! Even though I eventually found it on my own, it's nice to know there's a supportive community around if I need it! :)