Nerdfighters

I mean,don't get me wrong here, but it seems like all the post on this forum are based on YA books.

Does anyone read anything else?

Non John green

No Rowling

No Riggs

No MoJo.

Any intellectuals out there?

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My school reading list covers everything from "The epic of Gilgamesh" to "The name of rose". I liked a lot of them. Most of the young adult literature popular over seas(by that I mean in the US and the UK) is not available here, so even if I wanted to read them, I couldn't.  

I've read a lot of the books that can be considered classics of the world and so did a lot of people from my school. Our curriculum doesn't include newer books or young adult literature. I think that's a good thing. I love HP and I'm a big fan of John Green, but to have them in your curriculum and not Dostoevsky, Homer, Bodler some other fathers of the modern literature is a bit... *please don't kill me, I really, really like John and Jo* stupid. That's my opinion. 

I never read YA, most YA novels are more or less the same since they all deal with the same age group. I don't think I'll ever understand why an author or reader would limit themselves to stories about 16 and 17 year olds. It's fine for a book or two but there's a whole wide world of age groups out there.

Catcher in the Rye and Less Than Zero deal with plenty of subjects that YA books do but they're, well, a bit more intellectually stimulating and well written. I'm not an elitist, I could care less about if other people take part in intellectually stimulating activities (unlike plenty of people on this site I would never judge someone who hates reading) but I enjoy it.

My two favorite writers are Kurt Vonnegut and Friedrich Nietzsche. I just got done with reading a short story by Jack Terricloth that I enjoyed greatly and I'm about to read his other story soon. I also never finished House of Leaves and I have to do that soon but I like what I read so far.

I also have far more books on my to-read list than I've read. Bit annoying really.

I try to jump around as I read. It's good for my mind to switch between reading styles often. So, while one week I'll be lost in the history of 100 Years of Solitude, the next I'll be immersed in the wonders of The Giver. That said, there's an implication in your post that YA literature can't be for intellectuals, and I think the genre as a whole has disproven that sentiment many times over.

"Les Miserables" is one of the best books I have ever read.  It is long, and some of the parts can be rather tedious, but on the whole it is an amazing piece of literature.  Also, poetry is good.

I don't really read YA, I don't really know why, but anyway. 

If you enjoy reading Orwell, you should read Huxley's 'A brave new world' and if you like that, move onto Ayn Rand's 'We The Living'.

Takes from a a dystopia, to a utopia, back to a dystopia! 

I don't read very much YA, simply because I don't think most of it's very well written.  I will read some stuff that is well-written once it has a reputation.

I'm picky.

I like to read YA when I need something light and cute (don't know if that's the right word to use...) and by light I don't mean bad or something, it's just that I find most of YA really easy to read and to follow, like most of the time you already know how the story is going to end halfway through the book and most of the time there's romance.

I but I do love the classics and I find that the sci-fi/adventure/drama stories of the classics are sometimes way better that the new sci-fi/adverture/drama books.

But I think that not all YA are bad or something, I mean I love The Hunger Games and I have to say I'm addicted to the books, but I know that if I want to read something more "deep" I have to read something like Brave new world by Aldous Huxley  or Lord of the flies  by  William Golding, which were my first dystopian-like novels (some people don't really consider Lord of the flies a dystopian novel)

So, I don't think that reading YA is bad... but people should be aware that there's more than YA books.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service