Nerdfighters

Blurbing book club book from 1 January - 31 January 2011.  

Here's a few things you should probably do:

1. Read the book (obviously).

2. Come back to this forum and leave your thoughts about the book. You
can write a sentence, you can write an essay, it doesn't matter,
whatever you want.

3. Blurb the book.
Some of you may not know what a blurb is so allow me to explain: A
blurb is a sentence of 10 words or less, that sums up the book in
question. If you want an example, look on the back (occasionally the
front) of some books lying around your house. Those are blurbs.

Keep in mind that you can also compose lol-cat blurbs if you'd like (the same thing but with internet slang).

This book was chosen for January because it's one of my favourite books ever, it's widely available and I hope we can start the New Year off with a great book discussion.

Views: 2806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just finished the book :) I fell asleep reading it last night with about 10 pages to go. I love it, the idea, the premise. I had read Orson Scott Card's book on How to Write Sci Fi & Fantasy before reading this, and he talks about coming up with the idea, so I went into the book thinking "I have a bit of an idea what happens here," and then when I actually started to read the book, that didn't matter anymore. Even though I knew that eventually they would realize that they were actually directing squadrons, I conveniently forgot because I was so pulled in by the storyline. And in the end, I was still shocked when the fact that they were actually fighting battles was revealed. Somehow, my brain had allowed me to read the book for what it was and lock any previous knowledge away, so that it wouldn't get in the way of the story. And I think that the book itself, the story, the plot, something about the book, contributed to that. Something about this book pulls you in and makes you forget the outside world. And I like that.

Anyway, here's my blurb: When children are weapons, worlds collapse and genocide reigns.

Read it 2 months ago.  It was pretty slow starting out, but it got interesting pretty fast.  I liked the internal conflicts that went on inside Ender's mind... Life, death. Aggression, peace. Reality, perception.  Good book.

Blurb:  Don't send men to do a child's job.

Ender's Game is by far one of my favorite pieces of science fiction. (Incidentally, it was also one of the first pieces of modern sci-fi I ever read.) It's complex but not obscure, intense but not overwrought, psychological without being voyeuristic. In many ways, it's much more a book about humanity, and what it means to be human, and to live, and to kill, than it is about aliens or the "Bugger War." Some parts don't always hold up too well to modern eyes (Peter and Val blogging the world into a revolution anyone?), but for the most part...read it. Inhale it. Love it. Then read Speaker for the Dead (the sequel) and stop there.

Blurb: And a little child shall lead them...to war.

This is one of my favorite books ever! I rarely read science fiction but I have reread this maybe 10 or more times in the past 6 years or so. It also has that dystopian feel so those who are fans of dystopian novels should definatly pick this book up!

Blurb: Children trained to kill aliens by humans driven by fear.

I have the edition with Orson's foreword, that informs me that most adults reading the book either pities Ender, or get mad about the book. Thus informed I proceeded. I love this book. I think it's one of the best ones I've read. I really really hope the film will do it justice. The following books (mainly "The Speaker for the Dead" and "Xenocide") completes the picture but there are still things I feel were left open.

Btw, who thinks like me that Hazel would've made an excellent Speaker for the Dead?

"Ender's Game" opens with Ender coming to the end of being monitored by the army to assess his suitability to be trained. He is five years old. Thinking that the removal of the monitoring device means he was deemed untrainable, his older brother, Peter, mocks him for being no better than Peter himself, and their middle sister Valentine, both of whom were also monitored.
Ender has alas not failed and is removed from his parents to the orbital training station Battle School. Training is hard, and as we learn through "eavesdropping" on his commanders and teachers, he is humanities last great hope. Humanity was nearly wiped out by a race of giant insects, colloquially known as "buggers". They came to earth and nearly wiped us out. Now we need to find their planet and destroy them before they come back stronger to destroy us. The "game" of the title refers to how they train the children in zero-g combat. There is a room at the centre of the rotating station called the Battle Room. The children train here in what they call "games" where different "armies" battle it out in weekly tournaments. It is a great book about nature and nurture, how some traits stay with you no matter what happens to you, and how a person finds their true inner person.

(that sounded a little soppy and high-minded but read the book, it's really good)

Ten words or less? How about nine: Awesome.

A kid that grows up quick to save the universe for humanity. This is all a prequel to a bigger story.

I recall Orson Scott Card saying in the extras of the audio books of this series that when asked about his books being made into movies that why would he want his book a movie you are already enjoying it in the best form possible, the audio book.

I think the same way with John Green's "Will Grayson Will Grayson" as a movie it will never be as good as the audio book.

I read this in school a while ago and looked up the author online and was like, "NOOO FLIPPIN WAY." There is like over ten more books. Since then, I have to say I like Ender's Shadow a little bit better. (It's the first book to the parallel series told through Bean's life.) Check it out!

Ender's story is amazing as well though. It was my first sci-fi experience (:

I love the book, but my teacher ruined it! She made us do all this pointless work, but other than that it was wonderful!

Blurb:  Thinking outside the box =/= being outside of the box.

Ender is prime example of "thinking outside of the box," but he is still used by his government and lacks freedom - he is "boxed" in.

I already posted about my thoughts on ender's game, but I didn't see any comments regarding the rest of the series. I read "Ender's Game" for the first time in sixth grade for summer work. I tried to continue on with the series, but it totally went over my head. I don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't ready for "Speaker for the Dead". I'm reading it now as a freshman in high school, and it's fantastic. So, for anyone who loved "Ender's Game", I would totally recommend going on with the series. Orson Scott Card is a fantastic writer, and "Speaker for the Dead" is an awesome sequel. So, read it!

blurb for it? I'll try: The Speaker saves the piggies and repents for the secrets. 

i really like this book, but for some reason feel no reason to read the sequels

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service