Nerdfighters

Blurbing book club book from 1 January - 31 January 2011.  

Here's a few things you should probably do:

1. Read the book (obviously).

2. Come back to this forum and leave your thoughts about the book. You
can write a sentence, you can write an essay, it doesn't matter,
whatever you want.

3. Blurb the book.
Some of you may not know what a blurb is so allow me to explain: A
blurb is a sentence of 10 words or less, that sums up the book in
question. If you want an example, look on the back (occasionally the
front) of some books lying around your house. Those are blurbs.

Keep in mind that you can also compose lol-cat blurbs if you'd like (the same thing but with internet slang).

This book was chosen for January because it's one of my favourite books ever, it's widely available and I hope we can start the New Year off with a great book discussion.

Views: 2845

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As of right now, I've just completed both Ender's game and Ender's shadow, which is set during the same time but from a different perspective (that of Bean). I must say I was expecting a science fiction Harry Potter, where he'd move up a school (ie to tactical, pre-command) each time rather than just battle school (which is a lot like jumping from pre-school to university); although this is only a complaint as I wanted the book to go on longer, but there are many more books, so nevermind. I love this book! I hear disney are making a movie of it with the XMO-Wolverine director, which worries me, but I'll see it nevertheless.

Ender's Game is definitely an interesting, worthwhile read.  It's very accessible for sci-fi, which can be dense and confusing for people who are new to the genre.  Card reads like a dystopian counterpart to Madeline L'Engle in some ways; he has her simple narrative approach to science fiction without her optimism.

The story is compelling, and it's very well written.  Overall I really enjoyed it.

Blurb: Save the world by lying to a six-year-old.

I loved this book, as well as Speaker for the Dead but Ender's game was a little too violent for me.  I think I liked the sequel better as well.

Ender's Game is truly one of those most relevant things about life out there. I'll never forget how one night, late at night, my dad and I were reading the first third out loud for about three hours. Now we'll never get to finish it together, but I'm hoping they've got libraries and good glasses up there.

I keep coming back to the ending, the entire thing from the moment Ender finds the giant replica on that colony to the very end. it consumes me completely. The beauty of it all. The sadness. And the hope.

Also, I would like to point out the brilliance of the last book of the original quartet, Children of the Mind. SPOILER ALERT:

I especially like how it is pointed out to us that even though Wang-mu didn't love Peter more than Miro loved Valentine, or Novinha Andrew, it is the fact that he was the hardest person to love or smthng like that that enabled him to survive while others disolved into him.

I actually read this book for the first time in high school in 2004. It was assigned reading for my wait for it...Science Fiction Literature Class. Yes, my school had a Science Fiction Literature class that was, oddly, taught by one of the football coaches (go figure). I took this class my senior year because I wanted a "fluff" class that I wouldn't have to think a lot about. Little did I know how cool this class would be and how much I would 1. love this book and 2. love reading sci-fi/fantasy from that point forward. I definitely recommend this book to all the people who are not sure they like science fiction who come into the bookstore I work at.

This book was incredible, and I wasn't suspecting the *spoiler alert* the plot twist with the video game, But I found the very sort of disappointing.

I loved the twist. I imagine they felt like "Hey, umm, guys? Why uh, why are they cheering?"

I think Ender's Game was EXCELLENT. The action never stopped and I never hit a slow point in the book. I never lost interest in it. I was a little confused at the end with the whole "End of the World" actually being real. I don't think I'm going to read the other books in the series right now because:

1. I don't really want to.

2. I have other books to read

3. I don't feel a major desire to.

Blurb: Ender's Game is entertaining all the way through.

I thought that, though the action never stopped. It was just kind of the same action. Each chapter was pretty much "Ender plays the game, Ender watches video, Ender does something which reminds him of Peter, Ender feels sad" for every chapter. Than, finally he gets an army, than the formula was changed to "Ender is given battle, Ender wins against overwhelming odds, Ender does something which reminds him of Peter, Ender feels sad" for every chapter. Than, there is a subplot. The formula for those chapters were "Peter manipulates Valentine, Valentine writes blog, Valentine thinks of Ender, Valentine does something which reminds her of her character, Valentine feels sad" for every subplot chapter. Than in the last few chapters they rush a "twist ending" which wasn't wasn't really a twist because it basically was a sum up of how people were. Ender is manipulated, and Peter manipulates other people. The chapters after that are just sets up for a sequel. 

I don't think I'm going to read the other books in the series right now because:

1. I don't really want to.

2. I have better books to read

3. I don't feel any desire to.

Blurb: Ender's Game is the same all the way through.

I never was able to get into Speaker for the Dead. I think I picked it up at least 3 different times getting further and further with each successive read. The whole piggies thing and it had such a "downer" feeling right from the start I just never found myself dying (no pun intended) to get back to it. Its been years now though, I may have to pull it down again soon.

I loved this book, although it didn't make me cry like Speaker for the Dead. Love the ending.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service