Nerdfighters

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about Facebook, or any social networking site. I was probably the last person on earth to sign up for facebook (seriously, my dad got a Facebook account before I did. I've been on for less than a year) and I have to say that I am still not entirely sure what the point of it is. It's really cool that you can connect with people you haven't spoken to or seen in a really long time. But honestly, once you've friended (wow, new verb,,,,) them and realised that there was a reason you hadn't spoken to them since you were seven years old, the fun wears off. I find myself checking my facebook page at least ten times a day, and am constantly frustrated by the fact that NOTHING EVER HAPPENS. Nothing changes! Sure a friend will occasionally put a post up on my wall asking if I'd like to hang out on the weekend, but that could have been accomplished by emailing, texting, or phoning me. Half the stuff people write in their statuses (stati?) is so stupid and pointless that I just want to reach through the computer screen and punch whoever wrote it. There really is nothing fun, productive, or interesting about Facebook.

My question then is, why is everyone with a computer, including me, TOTALLY ADDICTED TO IT? I mean, I spend time on facebook that I could be spending on my reading and coursework, not to mention the great Canadian novel that I have been aspiring to write and publish since I was ten years old. What is it about social networking that sucks people in and glues them to their computer screens? What makes people stop listening to a prof in a lecture to answer an MSN message, text, tweet, or wall post? How addicted to social networking are you? What do you think it does to personal relationships and communication?

Ok so that was more than one question, but I want to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Views: 18

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most people are inherently voyeuristic. Just because you don't want to be around someone doesn't mean you don't want to know what they're doing, and Facebook lets you peep them without having to actually talk to them in some fashion.

and her answer was: "well, it's just difficult 'cause you don't have facebook." I don't see what's so hard about texting me instead? whereas my conversation would go "You didn't answer your text" "Why not just call me?". It just occurred to me how incredibly loosely I had to use the term "talk to them" in the last paragraph.

I resisted FB for a long time, and finally gave in the same week I got on Twitter too. Nothing ever happens on it, so I only spend a few minutes a week at it. And I'm okay with that, because as my profile says, I prefer the cold hard truths of Zombies to the easy lies of Unicorns.
HA! You said it. Voyeurism is a natural kink, I guess.

"I prefer the cold hard truths of Zombies to the easy lies of Unicorns." <- That is what the world should run on. I like that.
um yeah it took me a while to get into to facebook , but when i did i was totally addicted, now the newness has worn off and im dont go on it as much as i used to . i find it good that you can always find out what ppl r doing without making too much effort .. thats sounds stalkerish and mean but sometimes you dont have time to call everyone of your friends and ask about there life, ooh and i find it a great way to remeber ppl's birthdays its pretty helpful actually
Well, I personally am not a fan of Facebook.... My sister actually forced me to join (she said if I didn't, she would make one for me and insult all of my friends as me. Yeah, I know, she is the living form of World Suck.) Anyway, I think the only reason people like Facebook is because it's an easier way for people to talk to people without having to take the energy to get up and call them. Also, the fact that there are a huge number of games also adds to the fact that people like it.
The only reason I still have my facebook is so that I can creep peoples pictures. There are like six other ways that people can get a hold of me. Two of those without getting up from the computer. So, I agree, Facebook is really just another way to keep people from actually speaking to each other.
I disagree with a and b of your argument. Well, I mean, I'm sure you're right about many people but personally (and I'm sure this is true for many my age)
a) I don't have a camera so it's nice to be able to easily access photos others have taken of events etc.
b)Status updates can be a useful way of reaching a lot of people with minimal effort/time. I recently staged a play and we all updated our statuses daily, saying how the process was going and reinforcing the date and time of the show. This was an very effective addition to the age old "word of mouth" advertising technique with the advantage of it being written down. Although you are right that they are often banal.

As for c, it's depressing isn't it?
For me, Facebook is just a nice way to talk to people for college and get in touch with people with your similar interests. It's fun to just talk to people sometimes and plus it provides a place to put pictures and get nice quotes and quick news. When Gary Coleman died it flared up.

When Italy or Paraguay scored and I was away, checked my phone and facebook and wa-la. Posts upon posts. So I guess those are the uses in a nutshell xD It's just a convenience.

In reality, do we really need anything but food, shelter, and love?
Hi. nOOb here, be kind.

I've spent the last week catching up on vlogbrother videos and noticed that about seventy-five percent of the time I get this ad that says, "friend BP on Facebook". Very irritating.
Eh just ignore it, it's advertising.
Well, I have friends in every time zone in the lower 48, plus some overseas, so it is useful for that purposes. But besides that, I don't really see the point except for complete time wastingawayness.
I'm the same way. I use my facebook to talk to the people I've met online the most. I barely talk to my friends that are around me on my facebook. It's useful for planning events though. We recently figured out what we were doing for prom using the message thread thing on facebook, which is a lot easier than trying to call everyone or get everyone together before the event.
It's all about beating my boss at Facebook Scrabble!

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service