Nerdfighters

what's your favorite book you've been assigned to read?
mine's The Outsiders

Views: 1972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, God, I forgot 1984! Forget everything else, that book was the best!

"1984" By George Orwell changed my life

Lord of the Flies, bearing in mind I dropped English at 16. Also all Shakespeare, although Romeo and Juliet was not the best choice, imho 

I've seen a few people mention 1984. Can anyone who's read this and related books like 451 Fahrenheit (which I haven't read) tell me if there's anything Orwell does that other books don't, or indeed if other books do it better, because I read 1984 and didn't really find all that much to scream and shout about :(

there is only one book I've been assigned to read that I've really loved and that is catcher in the rye. Also I'm a Shakespeare fan but the only play I've ever been assigned to read by him was Julis Caesar, so not his best play.

I hated Gatsby and great expections, I wasn't a huge fan of Tuesdays with Morrie even in gradeschool i disliked the book fringle which all my classmates seemed to adore.

I don't know if i really dislike these books as much as I dislike being told what to read. Except for Gatsby. Gatsby was so boring I refused to read it and to this day it is the only time I actually have failed an assignment and test. Like I physically could not bring myself to read this book.

Great expectations I couldn't pay close enough attention to it to do well on my teachers weird quizes to make sure we read it with questions like "What did they call the pie he stole from the kitchen" I don't know I read 100 pages of nothing in two days and that is not a plot point. So i think that just frustrated me into disliking it. 

The Great Gatsby

To Kill a Mockingbird probably... I really liked it. A lot of the books people are mentioning I really liked, but I didn't read them in school... yet.

Mine would have to be "The Great Gatsby" honestly my mind was blown. so few pages told such a beautiful story. Ill never forget the subtly of the characters and themes and honestly loved going to that class to study it!

Julius Caesar by Shakespeare. Ironic because earlier in the year we had to do an awful project and take a horrible test on Caesar in our honors world and European history class so no one was excited to hear that we'd be reading Caesar in honors lit, but as it turns out, it was a hit!

The boy in the striped pajamas probably. It was terribly sad but I'm a sucker for WW2 books, dunno why. I also enjoyed Julius Caesar if that counts as a book.. I suppose it does.

I really enjoyed reading Of Mice and Men this year and To Kill a Mockingbird. I think both of those are excellent books and I honestly would love to read them again. Other than that I haven't been assigned many other books yet.

Lord of the Flies. I never would've read this book outside of class, but it happens to be a really excellently written book, that's not just murderous schoolboys, but also really complicated and layered and awesome.
DFTBA, LOTF.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service