Nerdfighters

I just realized that no one every really talks about non-fiction books. my favorite are:

-'The diet for teenagers only', can't remember the authors names at the moment. this is an awesome book. i'm not fat but this isnt really a diet. its more about living healthy and knowing how to eat well-balanced meals and how much of what foods you should eat per day depending on your bmi and stuff. its awesome. sometimes i read it just for fun. plus its one of those non-fics that are fun to read and it attracts you because its all pretty colors and nicely laid out and what not.

my other favorite is cookbooks. any kind. i just love them. i like to go through them sometimes and just read the recipes and think of meals surrounding a certain recipe. im a cooking nerd. my favorite cookbook is 'teens cook'(in my pants) and i cant remember the authors name of that either but its two sisters named meg and jill something i think.

so what are you favorite non-fics?

DFTBA
mariah

Tags: books, fiction, non, non-fic, non-fiction

Views: 178

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Errrrmmm ... probably ...
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Trick of the Mind by Derren Brown.
The Stuff of Thought by Stephen Pinker.
(:
Anyting by Oliver Sacks. Reading Musicophilia now.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford
Fire with Fire by Noami Wolf
Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam by Michel Onfray
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason by Sam Harris
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens
Demon-haunted world is excellent. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know about what science is, and how it can change the world.

Omnivore's Dilema kept me from eating fast food. Read it!
The French Quarter by Herbert Asbury- the guy who wrote the book "Gangs of New York". FQ is lurid and dirty. Loved it!
The Evolution of Useful Things, by Henry Petrowski. He's an engineer and very readable guy. Every wonder why our forks have 4 tines? This book is for you!
I'm a big fan of the "pocket guide" series of humor/nonfiction informative books by Dennis DiClaudio. I've got all three of the ones that I know of: The Hypocondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Disease You Probably Already Have, The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On and The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious. In addition being wonderful character references and handy disease-based plot devices, they're also hillariously entertaining. I've read them all straight through and I still have my favorite entires tagged.

My other favorite non-fiction books are writing guides: Novelist's Boot Camp by Todd A. Stone and Writing for Comics with Peter David. They're both witty, informative and quite inspiring.
Beautiful Boy by David Sheff and Tweak by Nic Sheff. They're both about Nic's addiction to Meth. They both made me cry muiltiple times (especially Beautiful Boy). They're heartbreaking to read but written so well that i couldn't put them down.
"This is your Brain on Music" - Daniel J. Levitin
- This is probably one of the most fascinating books I have ever read. It explains how we listen to music and we like certain genres and dislike others. The brain chemistry behind it is mind boggling!

"Musicophillia" - Oliver Sacks
- I got this book as a gift from my sister. It goes into a record of musical/human phenomena from Bach inducing seizers to people actually seeing music. It's really interesting.
Reading Musicophilia now. It is an awesome read. Will try to read This is your Brain on Music.
Cracker- The Best Dog in Vietnam By who, I can't remeber.
Backlash - The Undeclared War Against Women by Susan Faludi
Last Man Down: A Firefighter's Story of Survival and Escape from the World Trade Center by Richard Picciotto
Unfortunately, I haven't read many, because it wasn't until recently I got over my "everything must have dragons, wizards, vampires, and/or aliens" phase. (Still, fantasy/scifi is my favorite genre)

Here are a few nonfiction books I like:
Without You: A Memoir of Love, Loss, and the Musical Rent by Anthony Rapp (great autobiography, helped me through a really tough time in my life)

Reason for Hope by Jane Goodall-this book had subtle religious themes, but even if you're not religious this is a great book to read (my dad is atheist and he loved it.)

Tamora Peirce's Biography (great book, I already had high respect for her before I read it, but it increased tenfold by the time I was finished reading it.)

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking- a must read for nerds who love science, especially quantum theory. I love the chapter about wormholes because I'm a huge Stargate fanatic.

And that's all I can remember at the moment. I've read a lot about ancient cultures and mythology (particularly the Romans) but I can't remember the names of any of the books.
Silent Spring by Rachel Carson
History of Pirates
my history text book (what i like history)
I Am America and So Can You
Ghost Hunters
Encyclopideia Horriffica
and if i think of more i will post them

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service