Nerdfighters

I am a feminist.
I am heterosexual.
I occasionally wear dresses.
I usually shave my legs and underarms, unless I'm in a hurry.
I believe in equality for all.
I believe every person has basic rights.
I don't believe a fetus is a person. I believe it's a potential person which should be more valued than say, a dog; but less valued than an existing person.
I don't believe anyone is superior to anyone else.
I don't believe all____ are inherently_____. People are different, there are usually exceptions.

At it's core, I think feminism is about equality. It's not about superiority, it's not about man-hating. What do you think feminism is about? What do you think makes a feminist? Why are you or aren't you a feminist?

Tags: abortion, chauvinism, equality, feminism, misandry, misogyny, rights, sexism

Views: 3896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Presumably, the issue is not that he was promoted over them, but the fact that they had to deal with children while the males didn't.
If you have kids then that's a mountain of responsibility you've accepted.  How many personal and career sacrifices are made and the division of labor in child-rearing is between the father and the mother; it's not the job of employers or the government to make things easier on mothers because they agreed to take more time for their children than the fathers.
That's also what I had in mind
it's not the job of employers or the government to make things easier on mothers because they agreed to take more time for their children than the fathers.

However, the reason mothers agree to take more time for their children than the fathers is that there is a prejudice in society that women make for better parents than men. And that there is an expectation on women to take care of the children that men are mostly spared of.

Adressing those two structual problems are the job of the goverment.
No they aren't.  The government's job is to make sure we all have the freedom to make these choices for ourselves.  It is not the government's job to tell it's people how to think.
The government's job is to make sure we all have the freedom to make these choices for ourselves. It is not the government's job to tell it's people how to think.

That's pretty misguided ambition. Pepole make choices based on influences. Whether it's goverment or somebody else telling us how to think someone will tell us how to think, and we will be affected by it. So if goverment tells us how to think our ability to make choices for ourself won't in any way be affected, it will just be one more force influencing our way of thinking.

If we use goverment to steer these things these things will at least have some kind of steering (rather than being up to coincidence).
No.  Just no.  It is not the government's job to determine which thoughts and opinions are "right" and tell its citizens to think them.
You seem to have confused "convincing" with "forcing someone to believe".
Actually those are not structual problems. Those are social problems, thus not the government's job. Sometimes the government does adress these issues, but it's still more a problem that should be solved by the change in attitude. And that's something the govenment can't do, it's more the job of the media and  of the people themselves.
Actually those are not structual problems. Those are social problems, thus not the government's job.

Semantics...

They are social structures that are problematic, ergo they're structual problems. And the goverment's job is to establish an enviroment the pepole can prosper in. If there are social structures that hurts large parets of the population then it's the goverment's job to do something about it.

Sometimes the government does adress these issues, but it's still more a problem that should be solved by the change in attitude.

Why wait 80 years if we can get goverment involved and solve it in 20?

And that's something the govenment can't do, it's more the job of the media and of the people themselves.

Look up Swedish parental leave and what that has done to how much responsibility Swedish fathers take compared to mothers.

Now I see the problem we have. I was debating more of an angle of my country. In Finland our system resembles the one in Sweden (Not the same, but the Mom gets 105 days and an extra 158 days to share with the father) And still the second half is more often used only by the mother. You see there it's not a structual problem, but an attitude problem (which we are trying to change). Of course in some other countries it's more both, a structual problem ( in a sence that they don't have the oportunity) and a attitude problem.

Although this structual problem is gone after the parental leave. Nothing stops the father fom taking responsibility other than himself and to some extent social pressure. No laws that I know of at least.

You (once again) fail to understand what I mean by structural problem. Society is structured around ideas of how to act. One of these ideas is that women are better than men when it comes to child raising. This idea causes our view on child raising to be structured poorly, since our structure is that sorely women are to take care of it. That is what I mean by structural problem.

So on that part we're not all that far apart. Attitudes are causing problems, we agree on that.

Although this structual problem is gone after the parental leave. Nothing stops the father fom taking responsibility other than himself and to some extent social pressure.

That's looking at it from the wrong angle. It's not that the father is stopped from taking responsibility, it's that he's not stopped from not taking responsibility, as opposed from the mother.

As for what Swedish authorities did to adress the problem: they gave mothers and fathers equal earmarked days. IE if introduced in Finland both mothers and fathers would get 105 days, an the mother wouldn't be able to take out any of the father's 105 days and vice versa. I'm not sure how big a percentage are reserved specifically for one parent and how big a percentage both can use at will, but I am sure that this organization has done wonders when it comes to getting fathers involved in parenting. Nowadays if the father don't take out his paternal leave pepole demand an explanation - just as if the mother wouldn't take out her paternal leave.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2015   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service