Nerdfighters

(Someone was gonna bring it up sooner or later)
How do you feel about gay rights? The Bible specifically says it's wrong for men to sleep with other men.
But what if you can't help it? You can't control being gay, you just can't. Would God really condem people to hell for falling in love?

Other thoughts would be appreciated, thank you.

Tags: God, bible, christian, gay, love, marraige, rights

Views: 814

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I feel that God speaks through the events of the Bible and on certain occasions just speaks to humanity outright. I do believe that the Holy Spirit guides us and that it guided a lot of the Bible. I don't believe that God hates gay people, I'm sure he hated Sodom and Gomorrah but there was nothing those people wouldn't resort to.
I really don't like it when people say "God hates gays". God loves his children, even sunday schoolers know that; 'Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so'.
It also sort of uses the Lord's name in vain to say that Gosd hates them just to make their case. You can't tell someone God hates them. That's just about the worst thing you can say to a person.
I agree. i hate it when people assume that because I'm christian i hate gays. god loves all his children equally.
Yes on Prop 8. that's all I got for you...read Genesis & it says specifically that God created people to be wed as man & woman. nothing else. but yes, I do know the feeling that you can't control love -- you can try and stop it, but you can't stop from loving someone that you don't just like, but love.
I am very much pro-gay marriage. One of my best friends came out to me about a year ago and it just rocked my world on my views about this topic. I know it's not something he chose. As his best friend, I want to be completely supportive of him, and I want him to have the same rights as I do.

But when you look at it, marriage is NOT a religious institution. Couples get government benefits from being married, which means it's a legal, governmental institution. Because we have church and state, we can't use religious reasons to interfere with our government. I believe that religious marriage and state marriage are two different things... religious marriage being something you do in a church to signify commitment and state marriage being a legal contract you sign. That contract should be available to all citizens in my opinion :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!!

I thought I was alone on this....

The last time church and state were the same.... Remember the Spanish Inquisition anyone?

Church and State should remain two separate things. I believe homosexuality is a sin, but we are talking about legal rights here. If a gay couple wanted to get a religious marriage I´d be against it, but legal marriage is a right that we all should have dispite our religious beliefs or sexual orientation,so I defend it....

I basically agree with this.

The thing that really bugs me about homosexulaity, not the thing itself, but the way people treat it, is that we act like it's a bigger deal than it is. If it is a sin, it's no worse than any other sin and it's not like we have special camps where we send gossipy teens to try and cure them or used to send people to shock therapy to keep them from lying. And then when non-Christians are mad at us, they usually bring up the gay thing, but it's like, dude, no one is as concerned with it as you think but extremists.

I'm still unsure on whether it's a sin or not, and I can understand not supporting it legally because you feel like you can't, but it should ultimately be the church's decision whether it wants to hold gay weddings and the government can do the legal courthouse on paper marraige. Shouldn't that be what it's like, at least based on American law?

Well I firmly believe it's a sin. It's certainly not an easy sin to control, I don't think anyone would say that but God doesn't set in front of us anything we can't over come. If put to a vote I'd vote against it just like anyone else would vote according to their morals but we elect people to do that stuff for us and I'm not going to be angry or riot either way things go. I suppose I'm some what neutral on gay rights, I won't support it cause it's a sin but I'm not going to be a bitchy if they do get it.

Would God really condem people to hell for falling in love?
Well that all depends on how you think we granted salvation. I don't believe our actions grant us forgiveness but rather condemn us all equally. It's our faith in Jesus that grants us salvation there fore just because your gay doesn't mean you automatically go to hell.

That is the best reply I have ever read. Thank you. From me and people I know that this topic affects them

I'm not trying to be mean, (I say this because I've had bad experiences with people who don't care if they're being mean who say similair things just to sound smart)  but what if it wasn't a gay person? What if it was a liar or someone who gossips a lot? Does that mean it'd be okay for them to keep gossiping or lying as long as they knew it was wrong?

I think we need to make a distinction between temptation and sin here. It isn't wrong to be tempted, but it IS wrong to give in and act on temptations.

The Bible says that you have to repent of your sins, not just recognize that they're wrong.

(Luke 13:3 "But unless you repent, you too will all perish.")

And if you really think about it, if a person actually wants to keep on doing all that stuff that God says is wrong and has no regard for pleasing Him by becoming more and more pure, what are the chances that they're a true believer who's truly saved? Just something to think about.

Also, here's something else the Bible says about taking advantage of God's grace (in a bad way) by not repenting:

Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We are those that have died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?"

I agree that it is wrong to be gay, to be truthful the whole idea sorta creeps me out. But as Christians i think that we shouldnt judge people by their preferance. Yes it is wrong, but we shouldnt bash on people because of that. That is just discouraging Gay people from God's love. A cousin of mine is gay, and she is a very nice, devouted Christian and song writer. We are all sinners, and if being gay is a sin, where are we to judge?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service