Nerdfighters

So Washington is going to be the 7th state to legalize gay marriage. I think that's cool, people should be able to do whatever makes them happy...
However, wasn't our whole government founded on a separation between The Church and The State? In my opinion marriage is a religious thing therefore The State should have no part in it, period. This should be completely up to the religion he/she belong to and if their church will allow it. It is of my opinion NO ONE should be able or allowed to FORCE their opinions onto others. So if that religion or church doesn't allow it, find a new one... 

So what I'm saying is why wasn't this allowed in the first place and who thought that they should overwrite the constitution? I mean I get that they think that they are helping our society or whatever, but as humans we are going to do what we want to do no matter what and don't we have a right to be happy?

Anyways do you think the government should be a part of this?

Tags: bisexual, church, gay, government, marriage, policy, state., the, transexual, transgender

Views: 663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldn't someone with more traditional views rather have two people in love to be married, instead of living in sin? 

I don't think you quite understand. Reading the bible, you see homosexual physical acts are sins. Therefore, homosexual marriage is using a religious originated institution to glorify what is to them a sin. That's why they don't like it. 

Well then shouldn't churches, not the government, ban homosexual marriage?  If the government followed the laws of the bible exactly we would not have football, tattoos, polyester, or gold jewelry. 

You are quoting the Old Covenant there, which Jesus abolished. The church should, and indeed does, in most cases, not support gay marriage. However the state is putting it up alongside hetrosexual marriage, and to me and many others of my opinion, that is wrong. It is taking an institution made by God and turning it into something that supports what God said was wrong.

Here we are!  Let me give you a scenario; I did not go to church this Sunday.  I decided I would have rather stayed in bed.  You and many others of your opinion may think that was morally wrong, but does that give me a legal obligation to go to church on Sunday?  Of course not.  The government must not blend church and state.  

"It is taking an institution made by God and turning it into something that supports what God said was wrong." 

Some Buddhists and Quakers would disagree with this statement.  Your belief system is not the only one on this earth, please take that into consideration. 

I have nothing further to discuss concerning this topic, because I really don't think there is anything left to argue about.  This seems to be a very touchy subject for religious people, as they are so fiercely against it.  If one feels so strongly they can not be convinced by any logic. 

I suppose no two people see religion entirely alike.  I don't think God would ever condemn a couple for loving one another.  That would make God a hypocrite, and I do not believe that God is a hypocrite. 

"whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets. " - Matthew 7:12

Here we are!  Let me give you a scenario; I did not go to church this Sunday.  I decided I would have rather stayed in bed.  You and many others of your opinion may think that was morally wrong, but does that give me a legal obligation to go to church on Sunday?  Of course not.  The government must not blend church and state

But with introducing gay marriage, the government IS blending church and state. IE it is taking a tradition originally created by the church and then twisting it to be something entirely else. It isn't fair.

If one feels so strongly they can not be convinced by any logic.

Do not patronise. You are equally intransigent. Why do you have a monopoly on "logic".

Some Buddhists and Quakers would disagree with this statement.  Your belief system is not the only one on this earth, please take that into consideration.

I agree, but in a democracy, the majority should be listened to and in many states in the US, the majority do not believe in Gay marriage, and as such, that should be listened to.

I suppose no two people see religion entirely alike.  I don't think God would ever condemn a couple for loving one another.  That would make God a hypocrite, and I do not believe that God is a hypocrite.

How exactly would it make God a hypocrite?

Are you arguing that marriage didn't exist before Christianity (to whit, Christians 'invented' marriage)? Because that's demonstrably false.

No it isn't. Christians would believe marriage was instituted in Eden. It would be difficult to prove it was around before then.

I am arguing the latter, but also am arguing that from a purely secular POV, gay marriage is not a good idea. It would be a state investment they would see little in the way of return on.

the bottom line is that marriage was, yes associated with religion back thousands of years ago when the majority of people belonged to some form of religion

however in contemporary society marriage can be entered into under state laws; thus contemporary marriage is not associated with any religious denomination

there are over one thousand rights associated with marriage; that being said, when two men or two women are not allowed to be married, they are not merely denied (what many would argue) a sacred bond that heterosexual couples are allowed to share, but also every protective right associated with marriage

because marriage equality still does not exist in most states, homosexual couples are denied rights associated with marriage such as spouse immigration rights, visitation rights in hospitals, tax breaks, adoption, and a WHOLE HOST of other rights

So yes, I agree that marriage USED TO be a religious institution but because today it is possible to walk down to your local courthouse and sign a piece of paper that grants you all those rights; or after having lived with a person of the opposite gender for seven years you are considered to be in a common law marriage, today marriage is a STATE institution

separation of church and state ought to be recognized for what it truly is in this nation; and yet, people and politicians choose to ignore this simple principle

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2015   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service