Nerdfighters

After some very contrasting opinions came up over guns in the recent Conservatism thread, I thought the subject could stand its own discussion. So, what do you think of guns in society, and where do you stand on gun control?

I live in the United States, where the right to own a gun is protected by the constitution. I'm from New York, and here very few private citizens own or carry guns. However, I do support the 2nd amendment and consider it among our most important constitutional rights. What do you think?

Tags: constitution, control, gun, guns, rights

Views: 1376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And yet I would have one. I don't care if the bad guys feel safe. In some situations there is no right answer. If you came across a slave market would you buy one just to set them free at some safe place? There is no right answer to that. If you buy the slave you are supporting the system that put the slave there. If not you have to look at that kid in the eyes and say I refuse to buy you cause I don't want to support the system that put you there. The kid won't care it just wants to be free. No winners there.

And yet I would have one. I don't care if the bad guys feel safe.

You're still not getting this. It's not the bad guys I'm thinking about. It's everyone. If I go into a neighbourhood where I know everyone has guns, I am not safe. I don't care if they are good guys or bad guys, I am not as safe as I am in a neighborhood where no one has guns.

No you are only unsafe around bad guys whether THEY have guns or not. That is why if you are in a neighborhood of bad guys get a gun.

This is going nowhere. I am done with this topic. We just have to agree to disagree.

No, I am unsafe around everyone with guns. You are assuming we live in a very nice and pleasnt world where the good and bad guys are easy to define. A) That isn't easy, good guys can turn bad for many reasons B) accidents happen.

If they turn bad then they are bad guys and I need a gun to defend myself. Round and round we go. And I am not assumeing that. All I know is that I need to protect my family.

You're being massively over simplistic if you really think there are "bad guys" and "good guys" out there. Everyone who has a gun is a potential danger in a way people without a gun are not. You are not going to eve have a situation where everyone is a "good" guy because everyone is potentially a bad guy. Given that potential, allowing anyone to have a gun is dangerous. Not to mention the fact that they don't even have to have a gun to be bad. Accidents happen all the time, accidents with a gun are going to be more dangerous.

Knives kill too but can be used for other things. Maybe that's the difference?

It's also a lot harder to stab someone to death.

I am being simplistic because it is simple to me. If I am unsafe I want a gun. You said it yourself everyone has the potential to be a bad guy. If my neighbor all of a sudden gets a hair up his butt and pulls a knife I want a gun. If he pulls a gun, I want one. The individual that is unsafe needs the gun to protect himself. The cops are only good after the fact. Better to be judged by 12 then carried by six. Round and round we go.

I am being simplistic because it is simple to me.

Whether it is simple to your mind isn't important. What's important is whether it's simple, period. Your perception of simplicty isn't as important as the complex reality.

You said it yourself everyone has the potential to be a bad guy. If my neighbor all of a sudden gets a hair up his butt and pulls a knife I want a gun. If he pulls a gun, I want one. The individual that is unsafe needs the gun to protect himself.

The problem with that scenerio is that everyone is made more unsafe. You said it yourself, you want to be safe. The safest scenerio is for no one to have guns, at all.

The cops are only good after the fact. Better to be judged by 12 then carried by six. Round and round we go.

Have you not heard of an ARV? Armed Response Vechile? In the UK we somehow manage without guns and we don't have thosands of people in danger or killed. In the US, if you started withdrawing your guns, and policed them more heavily, people would be in less danger overall.

It's more like judged by 13.  Unless you lack a conscience, which I doubt.  

Vertigo " The safest scenerio is for no one to have guns, at all." NO A bad guy or bad guys can bring a knife or a mob and all of a sudden you are not safe. At that point you need a gun. As you should remember. I am actually on the fence about this if it was universal. Then the bad guys would have to get guns and amunition. I still don't know what to do about the ones in bad neighborhoods. Trust me living there sucks big hairy ones.

CD yeah judged by thirteen. Hell it still bothers me the two times in my life when I accidentally ran over animals.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service