Nerdfighters

So at Alaska's suggestion here's another discussion post. Just a few basic about you questions so we can get to know each other a bit better as people and hopefully friends. Answer as many or as few questions as you like.

1. Name or Nickname or whatever you want us to call you

2. Age

3. Country of birth and country of residence

4. What makes you a nerd

5. Favourite thing about where you live

6. Do you blog/vlog/tumblr/any other site

7. Best part of nerdfighteria

8. Top 3 books or book series

9. Saying or quote you like

10. Which house are you in?

11. Anything you think we should know about you?

Tags: about, get, introverts, know, nerdfighters, to, you

Views: 2176

Replies to This Discussion

So were you born in Switzerland? If so that's like me and Canada, born there, not raised there, no memories really.

Yeah, I was born there, but no memories really. Oh! I forgot to mention in my thing that I'm a huge Starkid! ^_^ haha

Well welcome to this group from a fellow starkid :)

I play clarinet too! Do you play in a band/orchestra or anything?

I'm so glad that I'm finally able to do this. It's been a while since I've had the chance to get online. Here we go!

1. Name

Really, I’m Kimberly…but I’ll be changing my name to Alaska any day now…

2. Age

14 (I know. Pretty young. No one online even believes me, but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s true)

Unfortunately and fortunately it’s USA and USA

4. What makes you a nerd?

Everything about me. I’m so musically inclined, mainly with indie music, nerdy music, and the local music here. I’m obsessed with words (even last ones, like Pudge). I was so moved by Nerdfighters and Nerdfighteria because I didn’t even know there were awesome people out there who would accept me and who were even like me. And of course, being stereotypical: I love learning. School is something I desire most of the time. And if it has to do with Asian/some European history, language, English, mythology, literature, and the like, I’m smitten forever (as long as the teacher is amazing). I volunteer at the library. I could live at the library. I know more about the library and the whereabouts of things in it than some of the staff. I love theatre. It is my release along with writing music. The culmination of those things and more is what makes me a nerd.

The music scene. Cleveland, MS is supposed to get a Grammy Museum, the first one outside of California. Why? Because of the music scene. While most people think that all we have is blues, they’re wrong. We have everything. I love the resturants that basically have a live performance every night. I love the college campus that basically every kid (even elementary ones) practically live on. I love how the drummer for one of my favourite local bands taught an after school art photography class that I was in. I love how connected we all are here. A lot of people say they want to get out of Cleveland because we have no mall or movie theatre or…a lot of stuff. But those people just can’t see the true beauty and awesomeness of Cleveland. Yeah, we don’t have a lot. But we have so much more than so many places. I guess it’s just that small town pride.

6. Do you blog/vlog/tumblr/any other site?

I want to…but, I’m not good at blogging (check my blogs but don’t judge because I’ve changed a lot since the oldest ones), I’m not good at vlogging (all of those failed attempts are on my computer), and I joined tumblr but I can’t remember my account and I’d rather be on Nerdfighters. But if I could find a good site to blog, I’d think about doing it regularly.

The community. How we can all get together and be awesome even if we’re basically doing nothing. The chats are amazing, random, and awesome. The groups are…well. This one is awesome, right? We are all just so made for each other.

Wow. That’s difficult. Let’s see…Looking for Alaska (That’s kind of a given seeing how I’m changing my name because of it), I Am the Messenger/The Book Thief (Give me a break. I can’t choose), and The Giver (and/or every utopia/dystopia book I’ve ever read).

“Tea is liquid wisdom.”—unknown

“Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!” –I have no idea but he’s kind of awesome

“I plan to quit writing novels myself, sometime in the next hundred years.”—Lemony Snicket

….and a lot more…but I don’t think you’d appreciate me accurately and completely quoting (from beginning to end) every movie I love…so…I’ll stop there.

Ravenclaw. I used to always want to be in Griffindor because, you know, Harry and Ron and Hermione and Nevel and everyone was there…but I realized (after numerous quizzes…all of them telling me my true fate) that it doesn’t fit to be mainstream all of the time (though, being hipster, who says I want to be mainstream any of the time?). So I have fully and completely accepted that I’m in Ravenclaw. And I’m glad that I am. Who isn’t in love with Luna Lovegood?

I think you’ll learn a lot from my page and the things I participate in. But I do make an effort to try and introduce new Nerdfighters. You never know, you could start lasting friendships. I wish someone random had welcomed me when I first joined. It’s fun and all you have to do is change one setting to receive email notifications when anyone joins. Actually, as of now…my endeavor to welcome EVERYONE has kind of declined…but I plan to pick it up as soon as possible.

Your town sounds awesome! I'm pretty music obsessed, so it would be awesome to live in such a musical area. 

Definitely.

A lot of the older people who remember the old small town that was more silent art inclined are a little flabbergasted that we've come so far musically...but I find that I wouldn't even remotely like the town if it were any less musical.

There are a lot of teenagers who can't wait to get out of that small town because they want to go out and "experience" the world...but I think that if they just took the time to actually look (or listen) around, they'd find our area quite extraordinary.

I recommend you visit Cleveland or come to this year's Otherfest in Rosedale which showcases our best independent music.

It is a truly amazing experience (not as good as I'm told Wrockstock is...but...that's okay).

Haley. Haley's fine. But not Haley with and i (Hailey) or Haley with two y's (Hayley) or any other variation. :) 

2. Age

16 as of December 2011

USA for both

4. What makes you a nerd

Lots of things, really. I wear glasses, spent the past month watching Brotherhood 2.0 videos, am in my school's band, all honors classes and one AP class, am an otaku, introverted, and read/write fan fiction. There's other reasons I can think of if I really tried. 

^I love how you spelled favorite. :) It's so foreign. It reminds me of the way British people spell that, as well as colour and stuff like that. 

SORRY that was me getting off topic. 

UH... I can experience cold weather and hot weather as the year progresses. Not many places change their weather like where I live does. It's got a nice, happy medium. 

I'm on FB, fanfiction (HushedSilence, if you wanna friend me), YouTube (though i only posted a vid once and mostly watch OTHER people), etc. I used to blog, but I don't really do that anymore. 

The majority of these people are very nice. Being on this website decreases the amount of world suck in my day. Plus, everyone here is made of AWESOME. 

Oh, please, don't make me choose! I hate choosing favorites for anything. Books, food, TV shows, movies, etc. are like my children... I can't just pick 3 and ignore the awesomeness that is the rest. 

"Of course you could! But why? Look at these people, these human beings. Consider their potential! From the day they arrive on the planet, blinking, step into the sun, there is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than—no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King. But the point still stands: leave them alone!" Tenth Doctor, Doctor Who
^Just got that off of my FanFiction Profile. NERD RIGHT HERE! :D  

I dunno, since I have gotten almost all the houses at one point or another in these online quizzes. My personal preference is Slytherin, though. :) 

I joined Nerdfighteria yesterday. I certainly feel welcome, here. :P 

heya Haley.  i know exactly what you mean in your books answer.

i know it shows similar tastes, but why does everyone seem to think they'll know everything there is to know about you, by a few things you really like?

also, welcome!

Usually I go by Katy, but some of my friends call me Kathryn or Kathy (long story there) so call me whatever you wish to call me.

2. Age

I've lived within the same 30 mile radius my entire life here in the middle of the United States

4. What makes you a nerd

Well, a lot of things! I LOVE theatre and history. I read a lot and what not. I am particularly obsessed with Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Percy Jackson, Doctor Who, and recently I've started to watch Sherlock, and because of that I've also started watching Sherlock Homes with Jeremy Brett, and both shows are absolutely awesome. I also like the Hunger Games, Star Wars, and the Pendragon books. I also spend way too much time on Youtube...

The beauty of the landscape here is a bit of an acquired taste, but I think it's rather pretty... and the sunsets are amazing, I'm pretty sure nowhere in the world has quite as beautiful sunsets as where I live.

I used to blog, and I eventually want to start that up again someday. I'm a part of a group vlog on youtube called NerdettesDFTBA, but I'll admit I haven't put any videos up for a while.

I can be as nerdtastic as I want to and no one will judge me :)

Harry Potter

Lord of the Rings

Leviathan (by Scott Westerfeld)

All the Percy Jackson books and their spin offs (yes, I know that's 4 books, but I love Percy Jackson way too much not to mention it)

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes -The 4th Doctor, Doctor Who

I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research. -Sherlock Homes, Sherlock

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. -Gandalf, The Lord of the Rings

(yes, it was necessary for me to put 3 quotes!)

RAVENCLAW! hence the name "Katy the Ravenclaw"

I also sing, which according to many people, I'm much better at that at acting (well they don't actually say that but they imply that) but I like acting about 10,000 times better than singing. I do love music and singing though, I won't deny that.

Hope it's not too late to do this?

My name is Lindsey, but I go by Jane sometimes, and I'm Lenny, Ninny, Wimby or Winny at home. My little brother is a very nickname-y person.

You can just call me Lindsey.

2. Age

America and America. The middle part.

4. What makes you a nerd

I have decided that if I like something, there is no shame in really liking it. I shouldn't have to feign mild interest for the sake of social propriety when I really feel passionately about something.

That said, I am also not very talky when I don't have to be. My coworkers are only just starting to figure out I'm a nerd after months.

Things I like:

Doctor Who

Merlin

Star Wars (the original 3. the others don't exist.)

Lord of the Rings

The Hobbit

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Sherlock Holmes books

Sherlock (BBC)

...and more!

It's fairly quiet here, but there is a nice mid-sized city--with a great museum and fountains and bookstores--just a few minutes away.

Blog: www.NovelPretender.blogspot.com

Tumbler: Novelpretender

I have a Youtube (sporadicinsanity) but I haven't really uploaded anything.

7. Best part of Nerdfighteria

Talking to people who have stuff in common with me is not a everyday thing in my life. It's nice.

Ender's Game

Chronicles of Narnia

Hamlet

I hate having to choose. It makes me feel unfair to my other favorite books. See also: http://novelpretender.blogspot.com/p/favorite-books_03.html

which is unfortunately still not a complete and accurate representation of the many many books I adore.

Basically anything Lemony Snicket ever said.

"I suppose I'll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies."
— Lemony Snicket

"If writers wrote as carelessly as some people talk, then adhasdh asdglaseuyt[bn[ pasdlgkhasdfasdf."
— Lemony Snicket

If you are a student you should always get a good nights sleep unless you have come to the good part of your book, and then you should stay up all night and let your schoolwork fall by the wayside, a phrase which means 'flunk'."
— Lemony Snicket

"The world is quiet here."
— Lemony Snicket

TARDIS.

Seriously, though. I'm kind of a Muggle. I know just enough to know that what I am is a Muggle.

I'm teaching myself to play the ukulele.

I often speak to myself and occasionally I reply.

I work as a writing tutor. Best job ever.

I want to be a teacher of English and literature.

I geek out over Shakespearean sentence structure.

I geek out over Phineas and Ferb.

I go through phases where I am completely obsessed with a show. Last year it was Robin Hood. Then I discovered Doctor Who, and was obsessed for a long time. Then it was Sherlock. And Doctor Who. Now it is Merlin. And Doctor Who. I'm beginning to think the Doctor Who thing isn't going away.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service