Nerdfighters

So at Alaska's suggestion here's another discussion post. Just a few basic about you questions so we can get to know each other a bit better as people and hopefully friends. Answer as many or as few questions as you like.

1. Name or Nickname or whatever you want us to call you

2. Age

3. Country of birth and country of residence

4. What makes you a nerd

5. Favourite thing about where you live

6. Do you blog/vlog/tumblr/any other site

7. Best part of nerdfighteria

8. Top 3 books or book series

9. Saying or quote you like

10. Which house are you in?

11. Anything you think we should know about you?

Tags: about, get, introverts, know, nerdfighters, to, you

Views: 2174

Replies to This Discussion

1. Name or Nickname or whatever you want us to call you

Nicky (the spelling is important to me. Everyone in Australia spells it "Nikki" or "Nicki" no, it's CKY with me

2. Age

3. Country of birth and country of residence

Born in Canada, then lived in America, now back to my parents home of Sydney Australia

4. What makes you a nerd

I try hard at school and I like learning. Harry Potter, fantasy, Doctor Who, Disney movies, random facts, Greek mythology, reading

5. Favourite thing about where you live

The healthcare system. Seeing the Sydney Harbour Bridge whenever I come in or out of the city.We always used to come back here every two years to visit family so it's one of my oldest and most constant memories. I can't help but smile when I pass it. That and the apartment that has always had the "One way Jesus" sign in the window. I can't believe its been there so long! I'm not even religious!

6. Do you blog/vlog/tumblr/any other site

I do all three. Plus a little facebook, but mostly to keep in touch with my friends in America and hardly any twitter

7. Best part of nerdfighteria

Knowing other people are just as weird and wonderful and nerdy and dorky as me.

8. Top 3 books or book series

Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Wildwood Dancing

9. Saying or quote you like

"There's always a way out for those clever enough to find it"

"Of course this is only happening in your head Harry, but why ever would that mean that it's not real?"

(cookies if you can name the book and character that these came from)

10. Which house are you in?

Officially Gryffindor. Non-officially Gryffinclaw

11. Anything you think we should know about you?

I've got this uncommon genetic disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome which effects every part of my body and causes severe pain and fatigue. I have to start rehabilitation this year to improve muscle tone and things. It also means that I have to drop out of high school to do it. But that's okay because it means I can start my university course online.

Are those Dumbledore quotes? I think the second is from Deathly Hallows...

Terrific that you get to take uni classes online! I wish you the best for your rehabilitation. Do you know what you want to study?

The second is a Dumbledore quote and yes it is from Deathly Hallows *throws cookies* I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts majoring in Ancient History through Macquarie University. I'm just doing a study skills prep course now part time. I actually just finished registering. Then I start my ancient History and elective units full time once my rehab is settled in and we know exactly what needs to be done.

Ooh yay! *nom*

Wow, sounds fascinating! It sounds right to ease yourself into school again, going straight to full-time would be pretty hectic.

Yeah, especially as I don't know how much time and what times of the day I'm going to need to devote to my exercises and then there's feeling tired and/or sore after them. What's your school like?

We have so many school-aged children in my city that our high schools are split into freshman-sophmore and junior-senior schools. Even then, my school has around 3,000 students enrolled. (Crowds...BLEH.) It's very competitive as well, lots of smart kids and difficult classes. Great fine arts and humanities programs, though! Lots of different courses to match interests.

Wow, that actually sounds very good (apart from the crowds). My school is grades 7 to 12 and about 1300 students. But our campus isn't too big so it feels very overcrowded. But I guess it's not my school any more so I don't have to deal with it. Your school sounds like one I would enjoy.

I think you would enjoy it, its a friendly haven for nerds. Plus, the doors in my social studies hallway are adornded with houses/places from Harry Potter (my humanities room is Ravenclaw). I think I'm definately aiming for a small university, though.

Wow your school sounds even cooler. I used to think I wanted a small university, but then I thought if I went to a really small one then what if I don't like the people. We don't really have "big" universities here. Just medium and really small. So I figured I've got more of a chance of finding like minded people at a medium one. All the small ones are out in the middle of nowhere to. And I have so many doctors I need to be in Sydney.

Hey I just noticed you listed Percy Jackson as one of the best book series.
I'm wary about it, though now I'm pretty much more or less determined to boy the books. But I'm still not sure if it's not some cheap superhero stuff, with Percy being some demigod or what. 

But I guess I'd like it...?
What made you buy/read the books in the end?

Greek mythology plain and simple. That and when the first chapter is called "I Accidentally Vaporise my Pre-algebra Teacher" you know it's going to be good.

I had to read a book about a kid Odysseus for summer reading before 5th grade and I loved it and then we did the Greek mythology topic in English which I also loved so when I saw the Percy Jackson books in the store I just bought them.

Yeah I remember I read some review explaining he's a kid from today's world and only then he finds out about "being a demigod" or that he's supposed to do great stuff (Chosen one, much?)

I am not really into mythology, actually, but one (fan)artist I follow on deviantart and tumblr draws an awful lot of this and I just love all the pictures and the little dialogues she wrote there from the books. So yeah seems kinda fun and all.

Also... it's five books long or longer? Because I know there is this book Son of Neptune, but I don't know if it's still about Percy or just some... other generation of demigods. 

((But now I'm really sure I am going to buy them actually, I'd just like to know if it's only five or it's not finished yet?))

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service