Nerdfighters

Guys, I recently have fallen prey to the awfulness of stupid books and movies. I'm having trouble finding books and movies that are good, quality, nerdfighter books and movies. Not the stupid sex-and-drugs nonsense of most books and movies, but really good ones that make you think and leave an impact with you. Nerdy ones.

"Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book." -TFIOS

^^that kind

Tags: books, movies

Views: 308

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have read Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and the Book Theif! i loved them all, the Book Theif literally had me in tears for the entire second half. IT WAS TOO GOOD  </3

The Kite Runner was mandatory reading in high school and I haven't a clue how I went so long without reading that book. :)

I am a huge Dan Brown fan (the author). The Lost Symbol is one of my favorite books.

As for movies: Charlie Bartlett, Twelve Angry Men (black and white version).

If you have netfilx (or even if you don't): Sherlock (BBC series), Star Trek (Original Series and Next Gen), Merlin (Also a BBC show). BBC just knows where it's at in the TV dept.

Hope this helps.

BBC pwns most American TV... Doctor Who is another fantastic one!

I know! But I haven't had time to watch it... Since it is on netflix I want to watch them in order but havent had the time, ya know, college and all..

Doctor Who is amazing <3 I've been watching it for a while... i am obsessed.

Assuming you've read all the basic books like every single one of John Green's novels

1) The Hunger Games Trilogy
2) World War Z
3) Metro 2033 
4) Any classic: Dickens, Shakespeare, Frost

as for movies....
V for Vendetta
Charlie Bartlett
 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Doctor Horrible's Singalong Blog. 

Study Series - still my favourite trilogy

IQ84 - I ADORE this book. It seriously messes with your head and forces you to see things in a different light.

I may post some more titles later, once I get some think and regain the ability to think clearly.

As a big theater nerd I have some related recommendations

1.  David Tennant's Hamlet- It's probably not the end all of all productions ever, but it's worth a watch and can be streamed free on the PBS website (http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/episodes/hamlet/watch-the-film/980/)

2.  A Canadian TV show called Slings and Arrows, it's funny and serious and awesome

3.  Now for some plays; Red by John Logan, Speech and Debate by Stephen Karam, and anything by George Bernard Shaw

(one final non theatre TV show, The West Wing is phenomenal

-Good Omens, and generally anything by Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman. But most of all their combined effort of Good Omens.

-Someone already suggest 1Q84, but I'd suggest some other of Murakami's works first. He has recurring themes, and I think that 1Q84, more than any of his other works, rewards people who've read his previous books, even though it also has a lot of differences from those books. At the least, I'd suggest Wild Sheep Chase andKafka on the Shore. Probably alsoHard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, because that one has the most clear representation of the conscious and the unconscious, which is a big theme for him.

- For watching, I'd suggest QI, the quiz show with some really good facts hosted by the wonderful Stephen Fry. You can find all of it here.

Try reading some classic novels. Not the horrible ones that you read in school and where the teacher has you only discuss a few overly used themes. My favorite classics are "The Phantom of the Opera", "Wuthering Heights", "Gone With the Wind", or any Fitzgerald novel. There are more classics, I just can't remember them. Try those. But the suggestions already made are good too.

I feel like I should wait for you to write something really deserving but you like Fitzgerald and that's good enough for me.

Fast-forward to 19 seconds in.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service