Nerdfighters

If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

I'm sure many people have heard this question before and have found it perplexing. but everyone has their own different reason of why they chose yes or no. so I was just wondering...

Views: 991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting post! Really thought provoking.

However..!
Let us assume that the word "sound" means the actual vibrations in air which is not dependent of the process of hearing. Even if all human beings were wiped of the earth, the fact that an object hitting the ground will produce sound remains. I believe the laws of physics exist independently of the existence of human kind. Or what do you think?

Yes. Because, you know, science. Although it keeps the philosophers nice and quiet.

It's actually quite a presumptuous question, suggesting a person has to witness something for it to be classed as actually having happened.

No is my answer it doesn't make a sound as it's the thing in the ear (I don't know the scientific name don't blame me I'm 12) that turns the vibrations know as sound into a sound there for if there is nothing to turn the vibrations into a sound there is no sound.
A better a question is, "is there even a tree, if there is no one there to observe it?"

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service