Nerdfighters

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/28/iran-london-olympics-lo...

Iran has threatened to boycott the London Olympics unless the organisers replace the official logo, which Tehran claims spells out the word "Zion".

This is absurd. Apart from anything else, I can't see it, but also even if I could, do they really think that this is some kind of subliminal pro-Israeli propoganda attempt? Do they really think that the Israeli lobby in London somehow pushed for this design? This is aimed to be some kind of principled stand, but in reality it just looks like their spoiling for a fight about nothing. Also, it's really sad most of all for the Iranian athletes. I think most of them are probably quite sensable people with good eyesight and just want the oppotunity to compete fairly.

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really, you can't see it? I mean, I wouldn't have been able to if I wasn't looking for it but yeah, I can see it. It looks like a lot of things actually, it's kind of amusing. I want to say Iran is just doing some stupid bullshit, but if they were American I would believe that they were sincere but just really really stupid and whiny so I don't know.

Really, you can't see it? I mean, I wouldn't have been able to if I wasn't looking for it but yeah, I can see it. It looks like a lot of things actually, it's kind of amusing.

I can see the Z, sort of. The top piece is too diganoal for it really to be a Z. If the 1 is meant to be an I, then it has a very odd kink in it. The O is clearly enough the zero, but how exactly is the second 2 an N? Or am I just looking at it wrong

I want to say Iran is just doing some stupid bullshit, but if they were American I would believe that they were sincere but just really really stupid and whiny so I don't know.

They're most likly being sincere, but it just seems so bizare. I don't know, I'm not sure what to make of it at all.

Yeah, it's a bit confusing isn't it? It looks more like someone giving head to a headless person to me than anything else (which is all sorts of amusing) I mean whoever designed this is just really bad at their job. They probably should consider redesigning it, you don't get to host the Olympics very often you know? It shouldn't be too hard to come up with something less weird looking.
I think its a bit late now, its on all the offical sponsers.
I can sort of see it...but this is still nonsense. Incidentally, I think that the logo should be changed, but on graphic design grounds, not paranoid anti-Zionism grounds. This is also one of the most bullshit reasons I've ever heard to boycott the Olympics.
Yes, wow, that is a ugly logo... It looks more like ZION than it does LO12 ,which I finally mangaged to decipher it is suppose to mean. But come on, who do Amedinejad think he is? As if anyone would miss them...
Isn't it supposed to be '2012'?

Oh yeah, it is... I see that now ;P

Anyway, if that douchebag wants his country out of the olympics due to this silly reason, the only thing he's going to achieve is to become even more unpopular amoung his people. So maybe the commity should consider making it look more like zion, by switching the logo's numbers around it's diagonal axes, but then it would make even less sense for us normal people ;)

Well, that's pretty ridiculous. If they want to boycott, fine. They've got to know it's an absurd claim. I mean, really.

It certainly isn't a very aesthetically appealing logo, but nobody should be changing it because a government claims to see a subliminal message in it.

Yup, they absolutely do see it as an overtly pro-Israeli message. Ahmadinejad is a paranoid fool who never ceases to both terrify and provide sources of ridicule. It's a damn shame that Iranians may miss out on the Olympics because of it.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service