Nerdfighters

You already know what most people will say.

Far right: Yes. It is a difficult choice, but can be overcome. There are bad things to being gay, but some people live with it the way geeks live with ridicule because of their strangeness that they could change.

Far left: No. You can't choose who you fall in love with. You're just born that way. Why would someone choose to be teased, rejected and alienated by society and their loved ones?

Well, to be fair to the right, some people, like geeks or weirdos, don't care about being teased or bullied or rejected because of the things they like. Even straight couples are willing to be teased or rejected because of their choice of a partner, but it's for love, right? Then again, is there really such a thing as true love at all?

Maybe it's just physical. Let's be honest, being gay or straight depends mostly on sex. If you fall in love with someone online then find out their not th gender you like, you probably wouldn't want to be with them the same way you did before.

For all we know, we do choose who we fall in love with. We make decisions about how to interperet our feelings, how to react to a person's actions or thoughts, when judging something they do or believe in, those are all little choices. Bu are they really what make us fall in love with people?

But it's true, if you want to love someone, why make it someone you're family or friends would reject you for? Why pick someone you can't have kids with or marry?(If that's what you want)

In Chrsitianity, the Bible says at least three times that being gay is wrong. But the only reason it would be wrong is if it's a choice, because sin is about disobeying God's will and rejecting the truth of his law and words. You can really only go against God's law by choosing to reject or go against it, like choosing to steal or choosing to ignore Jesus once you've heard the truth, or choosing not to even try to be a better person. So how can something be a sin if you don't choose to do it? (please no religious bashing from any sides in this discussion) Many christians who don't support being gay say that it's a hard thing to overcome but can be done, but how many gay people do they know that have actually stayed celibate or gone straight?

Main questions wiht this issue: Is it a choice? Can you choose who you fall in love with? Why or why not?  If it is a choice, why would you choose to be gay at all?

EDIT: If you have anything directed specifically at me, the one posting this, I'm not going to read it. The discussion is mainly for other people who wanted to discuss it, and I lost track of the comments months ago anyway.

Tags: choice, christianity, debate, gay, opinion

Views: 31056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In Chrsitianity, the Bible says at least three times that being gay is wrong. But the only reason it would be wrong is if it's a choice, because sin is about disobeying God's will and rejecting the truth of his law and words.

No, what it says is the physical act is wrong, and that the attraction is a temptation. The physical act is most definitely a choice. 

Many christians who don't support being gay say that it's a hard thing to overcome but can be done, but how many gay people do they know that have actually stayed celibate or gone straight?

I've known at least one person who was gay for a while and now is straight. Not due to anything religious, but still. Equally, groups of people have remained celibate for many reasons throughout history, so it's clearly possible.

I've known at least one person who was gay for a while and now is straight. Not due to anything religious, but still.

No, you know someone who either A:  is bisexual and now exclusively leans toward straight, B:  has always been straight and used to be either confused or experimenting, or C:  was gay, is gay, and if now in deep denial.

The point stands, they have chosen, taken action, and have changed their orientation.

Furthermore, how do you know? Do you know this person? Have you met them? Have you examined them? Is there some definite ground of proof to know when someone genuinely IS gay, and is not simply experimenting. How do we know that in fact, no one "is" gay and that in fact, people are merely experimenting and are comfortable continuing to do so with the fact that the culture around finds it acceptable? Is there some kind of agreed standard about who is and is not definitely gay.

Is there some kind of agreed standard about who is and is not definitely gay.

People who are only attracted to members of their own sex on a regular basis and for a long period of time are probably gay, I think thats a fairly good standard.

How do we know that in fact, no one "is" gay and that in fact, people are merely experimenting and are comfortable continuing to do so with the fact that the culture around finds it acceptable?

If they're experimenting for a long period of time then it stops being simple experimentation and it becomes a lifestyle, not to mention people who usually deny their sexual cravings for long periods of time tend to have problems, at least in bed and especially if they're male. Also I like how you get annoyed that Kenny implied that your friend might not be telling the whole truth somehow, but you decide to just go ahead and call all homosexuals liars or at least imply that they might be lying about their sexuality. I have no desire to experiment, and I assume you have no desire to experiment. I can understand that someone can get confused and experiment for a little while but like I said, it's not likely that they're going to go gay for life if they're actually only attracted to the opposite sex. I assume that straight people who are in the closet can be sexually frustrated too. 

Also I like how you get annoyed that Kenny implied that your friend might not be telling the whole truth somehow, but you decide to just go ahead and call all homosexuals liars or at least imply that they might be lying about their sexuality.

Wrong, I didn't call them liars. I suggested that Kenny did not have some kind of universal authority to claim for certian that he knew anything about the situation. I was irritatied about his claim to supreme understanding of the situation without a shread of evidence.

I completely agree with you. When a young boy/girl at the age of 7 or 8 has a crush on someone, I'm pretty positive that they aren't experimenting by staring longingly at the same sex/ opposite sex. It is probably something that comes naturally. I'm completely straight but i have friends that tell me all the time that no one would CHOOSE to be hated and denied throughout their lives. Either way it is, it is no bodies business who in the world someone else in involved with.
there have been reports done claming that you can tell from a young age if someone is gay, also there are reports saying that it is genetic. i definately dont see it as a choice (especially seeing first hand how some of my friends get treated) however other people argue that it is 'environmental' and it has only 'just started emerging because now it is socially acceptable'. when you tell then tchaikovky was infact gay in a time it was definately not acceptable they either respond with 'yeah and what did he do again?' or 'and who is that?'

As well as a history of famous or otherwise homosexuals in history, there have always been gay animals.  I thought that should be said.  Being straight I make no claim to know, but my lesbian friend most certainly did not chose and would do just about anything to be accepted into her right wing family.  

*unrelated to your response*

sweet profile pic!

*related to your response*

While I completely agree with your argument I feel I should point out that by choosing to have sex with another man you will cause most men to think of you as gay. also, eww?

@ Vertigo_ One: Again, Bullshit. They didn't "choose" to change their orientation, their biological, CHEMICAL sexual preference changed. Just lik ebeing gay is not a choice that I made, being straight is not a choice that you made. If YOU wanted to become gay right now, could you?

Or, yeah, they're lying.

Proof? Thus far all evidence for a physiological basis for sexual orientation has been inconclusive at best.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service