Nerdfighters

Excluding the existence of any supernatural powers, or any comment whatsoever on the fallacy or truth of religious belief, and based only what we have seen [i]as a direct result of religion in this world[/i], can we see that religion is a positive or negative influence on the world as we know it?

Thoughts and feelings, questions, queries, doubtful points, moans, groans, itches, bitches, theories, queries, unwanted pregnancies; all is welcome here. Spill your mind into text.

:)

Tags: atrocity, bad, catholic, charity, christian, generosity, god, good, murder, muslim, More…religion

Views: 4383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it's correct that the only metric of how much good a religion does is tied up in whether it is true or not. In fact, I don't even think that's a very good measure. Let's just say that tomorrow the whole world found out the one true god was Morlock the Soul Eater. I don't think that would make any cannibal cults founded in the name of praising him any more good than they were yesterday. And I don't think that would invalidate the work of any missionaries who built schools in foreign countries in the name of a false god. Since we cannot ever actually know the truth value of a religion, I think all our definitions of good or bad have to be derived from the earthly consequences of that religion.

We do actually, just because a certain religious leader said that the people should do something it doesn't mean it's right. A lot of them did things (such as Crusades) because of their personal benefit.

It's quite hard for me to tell what I mean,since English is not my mother tongue. :/

in Nazi Germany the Church backed Hitlers campaign up

Which campagin was that? The church began openly criticisng the nazis before they rose to power. Since the "Brethren in Christ" group along with the confessing church and Jehovas witnesses were persecuted under Nazism, I'm also curious which Christian groups your refering to.

I've read it that he had an agreement of understanding with the chuch (this may have been the Catholics) that they would not criticise him and he not them, but then he broke that accord and they started attacking him. The picture I've seen is not one of the kind of whole hearted support I've heard other people talk about.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1699/was-hitler-a-christian

According to the Straight Dope he did in fact authorize the killing of priests and nuns. And the way I've been taught the history is that Hitler was not a religious leader. He was against organized religion. On the other hand, Mussolini was backed up by the Italian church in his rise to power. Is it possible you were confusing the two of them?

I find religion discusting. I agree that it can be a good source of hope to hang on to for some people, but there are people who use it to justify there horrible actions

Ignorance is bliss... I think religion has helped a lot of people die happy because they think there will be something else for them. It has also made many people do nice things, although it's a little sad human beings require any type of 'push' to help their fellow human beings. At the same time though, I think it's terrible how many people in the world don't realize that this life is all you have, and they start wars and genocide over something that man merely invented to make himself feel better about the things he has done.

Anyways, that's my opinion. No offense meant, and sorry that it's a bit hard to understand. I'm terrible at putting thoughts into words. =/

Modern religion is outdated and unnecessary. Our need for religion to have a stable, structured society has long since passed and now the blind faith that is instilled on most people at birth is obtrusive to scientific and cultural development to the point where is risks countless lives every day.

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burned, tortured, fined, and imprisoned, yet we have not advanced one in toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half of the world fools, and the other half hypocrites."

You act as if Christians themselves haven't been persecuted themselves by other religions, and that other religions don't persecute others. Not to mention that in most cases the faith had been perverted to achieve an agenda. At least be fair when condemning religion. 

(I don't mean to sound like a jerk. Honestly. c:)

That's a quote from Jefferson, actually. I don't 100% agree with him, but his writing style, like other of the enlightenment era, is genius and I remember the quote so I decided to put it in there, just for kicks.
+1 for Jefferson quote.
-1 for no citation!

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service