Nerdfighters

Blurbing book club book from 1 March - 31 March 2011.  

Here's a few things you should probably do:

1. Read the book (obviously).

2. Come back to this forum and leave your thoughts about the book. You
can write a sentence, you can write an essay, it doesn't matter,
whatever you want.

3. Blurb the book.
Some of you may not know what a blurb is so allow me to explain: A
blurb is a sentence of 10 words or less, that sums up the book in
question. If you want an example, look on the back (occasionally the
front) of some books lying around your house. Those are blurbs.

Keep in mind that you can also compose lol-cat blurbs if you'd like (the same thing but with internet slang).

This book was chosen because a nerdfighter suggested it and because I was already going to read it this month anyway! Hope people join me in reading this! And enjoy.

Views: 591

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It's Kind of a Funny Story is one of my favorite books of all time, and I'll admit I initially read it because the cover was so freakin' jokes.  I recently saw the movie, and while it's not quite as faithful to the book as I like (I'm a detail nazi) it was really good, and it got the message of the book across quite well (and it had a really good soundtrack running underneath the visuals).  I've always been a big fan on YA fiction, and someday I aspire to write as well as Ned Vizzini (as well as the other greats like John, Chris Crutcher, Sarah Dessen, and Zusack).

My blurb:  If you find your anchors, it'll come to ya!

Nice blurb using lines from the book :)
I loved this book. It was written in the exact way that I think. It was well-worded and creative. The characters were great because they didn't fit stereotypes. Yes, they were visibly "crazy" but they were all unique.

As this book is like my fourth or fifth favourite book of all time, because of the messages it gives at the end of the book, which actually hit me pretty hard. The whole of the book has a very easy reading style, much like as if someone was simply talking to you about their life, instead of writing it down for you, which for such a hard subject as this I have found to be incredibly difficult to pull off.

The characters, although not exactly 'relatable' are very realistic and you really feel a pull for them, and want them to succeed in each of their little challenges, from bagging the interview to getting out of bed.

This is easily one of the best examples of how a book should be written to captivate multiple audiences without seeming cliché or otherwise dumbed down. No book is without fault, and there are character flaws that don't quite fit, and moments where it seems too farfetched, even for some of the things happening in this book, but I guarantee you will still love this book.

"An obvious answer to 'what book should I read?'."

Great book...

Craig's suicidal episode nearly ended his life- yet also saved it.  

I loved this book!

This book was funny, touching, and just overall fantastic. By the end of the book, I felt connected to even the most odd characters.

i read this book over the summer, i have to say i almost stopped reading it. the first 200 pages or so before he even gets into the mental hospital could have been condensed into like 50 pages tops. i mean its not that hard to explain, "i'm depressed, i throw up when i eat, my parents are supportive and try really hard to help, my friends are super smart, i feel overwhelmed, i am freaking out about school, and i am depressed" it dragged on and on and i slowly began to hate the book. i kept reading because my friend who had just finished it loved it and was waiting for me to finish so we could talk about it, plus i liked the cover and the title and i tend to like stories based on mental hospitals, not sure why. i also dislike not finishing a book i start. i am glad i stuck with it, because the rest of the book, the part that actually takes place in the hospital is very good. its realistic, the characters are interesting and i found myself finally caring about them and the story. i saw the movie and enjoyed it. i think it captured the message well and the actors did a great job. honestly, i wish the novel had began the way the movie did, my only problems with the book is the beginning dragged on too long for me. 

I enjoyed the perspective of this book, and how it seemed like even the kid who has everything can suffer from depression. Which is true, its not in the least what you have or how awesome you are. There's always feelings beyond that that interfere.

Another thing I like is how real it was. Some books I'll read and quietly think to myself, "there's no way that happens?" Or possibly, "that may happen, but its an extreme". But I could relate to everything in the book and it made for a very interesting reading experience (that sounded very proper, lol).

Blurb (I'm not very good at blurbs): Intelligence, friends, family... but still, depressed.

I have a friend who went through this, more or less. It really hit home for me. I adored the characters and I actually felt pride in the end of the book when Craig gets over it, and he finds what he really wants from himself. I like that it's a happy ending but it's not "happily ever after" so to speak. Even though Craig was going through things that I have never been through, he was relatable and easy to get along with. 

My blurb: Draw your map, a way out of the tentacles.

I liked this book. Being in middle school, there were a few parts that made me blush and giggle (I'm not ashamed. We've all done that at some point :D), but it was a pretty mature book that dealed with the conflicts it presented quite nicely. It made me wonder what my own mind map would look like...

My Blurb: in ur hospitlz, healin my brainz

Trying to get my hands on this book. Can't wait! By the way, ever considered doing the book 'The Curious Incident of The Dog In The Night Time' by Mark Haddon for The Blurbing Book Club?
I loved cinderella...i still love reading some christmas novels :)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service