Nerdfighters

Blurbing book club book from August 27th, 2010 - September 30th. 

Here's a few things you should probably do:

1. Read the book (obviously).

2. Come back to this forum and leave your thoughts about the book. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, it doesn't matter, whatever you want.

3. Blurb the book.
Some of you may not know what a blurb is so allow me to explain: A blurb is a sentence of 10 words or less, that sums up the book in question. If you want an example, look on the back (occasionally the front) of some books lying around your house. Those are blurbs.

Keep in mind that you can also compose lol-cat blurbs if you'd like (the same thing but with internet slang).

Views: 743

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad I wasn't alone on that, I was beginning to think I was just waaaay off on the Coin situation. If we're both off then at least we have each other. I agree with you on the Haymitch thing, because Johanna's bloodthirsty and Enobaria was a Career, so them agreeing to having another Hunger Games was believable but Katniss and Haymitch agreeing to one was just too strange. I knew the second Coin proposed another Hunger Games that the bitch was going to die and that Katniss was going to do it. I don't know about Haymitch being banished though I thought he went back because he had nowhere better to go, and to be near Katniss maybe because they understand each other so well, I thought they could all heal and get through it together.
Personally, I think the only reason Katniss was torn between two guys was because 1.) Collins wanted the suspense to continue to give her readers another reason to buy the next book and 2.) Katniss even admits that she was inept at flirting. Think about her history. It's so mechanical. Really she grew up as a male normally would in such a society. She never had time to think about something as feminine as romantic love. She never really even got in touch with her emotions after her father died, something that didn't change until she grew closer to Peeta.

In other news, I hadn't considered your assessment of Prim's death and Katniss accepting the Hunger Games. However, I think you're right. Very astute :o)
*SPOILER ALERT*

I, like many of the people who have posted here, just finished this fantastic book, and need to talk about it. This book is keeping me awake. It's burned itself into my mind and won't let me rest.

I'm upset about Gale. While I have nothing against Peeta, I loved Gale from the beginning. I guess having a bunch of male friends in the military made his character massively appealing to me. I understand why Collins did what she did with him, but I guess I'm just disappointed that he as a character made those decisions, if that makes any sense.

The one thing I can't get out of my brain is Prim. I don't understand why she had to die. Her presence in the war seemed so randomly thrown in. Why did that have to happen? I don't remember who it was that said this, but I agree that Collins definitely showed that she respects the intelligence of her readers in this book. Finnick's death moved me to tears as well, especially when Annie had his baby. While I'm sure everyone hates that that happened, that was very real. It was painful to swallow, but it was very real.

Katniss's imperfections are what made this book so real for me. She isn't perfect; not by a long shot. (Haha, unintentional pun!) And when her main competition for popular female heroines are the likes of Bella Swan, it makes me like her all the more. She's strong, smart, and realistic. What's not to love? As for her choosing Peeta, I really didn't think that was so obvious. Katniss learned who she was throughout the series. There are definite signs that she as a character grew throughout the books. I think Gale explained it best when he said that Katniss would choose whomever she thought she couldn't survive without. In the end, she did. In the first book, she really didn't know what she needed. Her prime concern was defending her family and surviving. In Catching Fire, she seemed to be closer to Gale because she thought what she needed was a good hunting partner. Her perception of Peeta was much teh same as it was in the first one: the bumbling, eloquent boy whom she couldn't find a use for. That shifted in Mockingjay. She realized taht what she needed to survive was peace, something that only Peeta could offer.

In other news, I understand why she said yes to the new Hunger Games at the time, but I too was massively disappointed in her. I think she changed her mind loud and clear when she shot Coin, someone who needed to go (as cruel as that sounds).

My blurb: This book cannot be summarized in ten words. Read it.
Mockingjay! I so love this book! Definitely one of my top favourites of all time. Even though the ending wasn't really all "happy-go-lucky" like most books, it was real. If I were Katniss, I don't think I'd be able to be that happy either, so I'm proud of Collins for not making everything perfect like a certain Harry Potter author *cough*. Collins did a spectacular job of writing Mockingjay, and it was pretty much everything I hoped and dreamed for.
Then there's the love triangle. I wish either Peeta or Gale had died; though to Katniss, they both had. It would've been more realistic. I also didn't like how Peeta healed so quickly, in psychiatrics, no one heals from hijacking that quickly. (What's really weird is that the MacGyver episode I watched the night after I finished Mockingjay was about hijacking, so we all know it's real).
There was a lot Collins could've done with the love triangle. She just didn't do a lot of it. Personally, Peeta should've gotten shot by someone at 13 when he first tried to kill Katniss, that way when she shot Coin, it could REALLY be revenge. (Even though Prim certainly counts as a vengeful excuse). Collins also didn't go much into Gale's transition from killer for food to killer of humans; there was a lot she could've done.
Overall, I liked Mockingjay a lot. Despite the little things, I really enjoyed reading it. Definitely better than Orwell's ideas from 1984

Blurb: #1 What good does it make to be a hero when everyone you love is gone?

#2 1984--without the sexy scenes
I read both Hunger Games books the week before Mockingjay came out on the advice of a good friend, and I really enjoyed the fast-paced harshness of the books. Suzanne Collins's characterization of Katniss was the element of the books that I enjoyed the most though; she was honest, angsty, angry, callous, and self-centered. At the same time though, Katniss had a strong sense of principles that gave her an empathetic side, making her easier to relate to.

I read Mockingjay as soon as it came out (I stayed up until 4am reading!) and I liked it, but at the same time I didn't. I did like it because it was interesting to read the mental changes that took place in Katniss; the last few chapters of the book were especially interesting because of the way Collins wrote them. She styled them in a muddled stream-of-consciousness sort of way, mimicing the mental state of the traumatized, grief-stricken, drugged-up Katniss. The ending was completely unexpected for me and I was really glad Katniss killed the president instead of Snow. Up until that point I thought that there would be another Hunger Games and that the book was going to end with a perpetual cycle of bad leaders. I didn't like the way Collins portrayed Prim, however, because she came off as a demure Mary Jane-type. I didn't like the ending; it felt rushed, and Peeta's recovery seemed to be pieced together just as quickly. I didn't like that all the characters were teenagers and kids but they had moments where they acted like adults (Prim and Katniss and Peeta especially).

All in all, I'm glad I read the series, and as an end to the Hunger Game series, Mockingjay was an appropriate end.
I finished reading Mockingjay a few weeks ago, so I've given the book a little time to digest in my mind. First off, I would just like to say how far Suzanna Collins has come as a writer over the course of this series. When I read Huger Games, I was impressed with the idea, but I thought her writing was only "so,so". By Catching Fire, I could tell she was improving, but within a few pages of Mockingjay, I was astounded by how vivid her writing has become. I've never read a series where an author progressed in skill so quickly, so my hat goes off to you Mrs. Collins.
One aspect of the book that I loved the most was how Katniss depicted District Thirteen. I loved that there was not clearly "the good guys" and "the bad guys". In fact, Katniss even mentions how like in Thirteen resembles the Capitol. I think it is really important to remember that in real life there is a little bit of bad and good in everything. Other authors usually make clear distinctions between the good and bad, but Collins made sure that Katniss (and the reader) never fully trusted either side.
After reading the ending, I was initially really upset that (spoiler alert!) Katniss choose Peeta. I love Peeta, but I always felt like Gale and Katniss belonged together. However, I fully understand why Collins chose to do what she did. Katniss could never have lived happily with Gale because Prim's death would always haunt her. How could she live with him knowing he may have been responsible for her sister's death? Granted, I did not like that Gale just disappeared at the end of the novel, but I understand why Peeta and Katniss had to be together. Plus, Gale and Katniss were too much alike; Peeta and Katniss complimented each other far more.
Overall I loved the book. I think it parallels wars and violence today so well that it would actually be a good book to add to the reading lists (like that's gonna happen-but hey-we can dream). I can't wait to see what Collins puts out next!

Blurb: But there are much worse games to play...
I realise this is probably late but still :)

Mockingjay is mY FAVE Hunger Games book, for no simple reason. I think I like it mostly because it's the most serious and imo most real. It's brutal, unforgiving but real. <3

Blurb: The Games were war, but is war just a game?
I was so disspopointed! I finished it today, and I was really shocked by the ending! Katniss and Peeta just magicly get better, her loving mother abandons her teenage daughter, and Gale just moves across the country. WTF?! Anyone agree with me?
I know, right? Katniss has never really been close to her mom, but having her up and move to another district without her daughter (and her only remaining family) just doesn't seem right.
I liked the book, but as i didnt get to finish the book (i had about 5 or so pages left before i had to put i down), the end was confusing.

I had just gotten to the part about Prim's death.

Can anyone tell me the end, so im not as confused?

whatever happened to gale?
Telmac got it pretty much covered, but one kind of important thing he missed is that Katniss makes like a scrapbook of all the people she knows that died so she wouldn't forget them

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2015   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service