Nerdfighters

Yea, I really want to start reading again once school is over. I just finished the Hunger Games and I loved it. I want to read stories like that.
I haven't read Paper Towns and I'm thinking about reading that, but, other than Paper Towns, what are some other really good books?

Views: 20

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've recently read and enjoyed Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut, and I Am Not A Serial Killer by I don't know his stupid name. I'm planning on buying a lot of books, but I think the next two that I'll be purchasing are Living My Life by Emma Goldman, and Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg.
Going off the Hunger Games, I think you'd really enjoy the Uglies series by Scott Westerfeld, and perhaps other dystopian sci-fi sort of books - what exactly was it about The Hunger Games that specifically appealed to you most? :)
What exactly was Uglies about? I never read it, but I always see them around. For some reason I thought they might be like Gossip Girl and I never picked one up to check.

It really is a fantastic series, with the exception of the fourth book.. That one not so much. The original trilogy though, is fantastic.  It's nothing like Gossip Girl at all.

They're about this uberly controlled society, and how the progtagonist deals with it. Until 16 you're an "ugly" and you live across the river away from all the Pretties. The Pretties are over 16, and have gone through surgery to be beautiful and perfect. They live a continuous party lifestyle until they're old, like 40 or so, when they become parents and take up jobs. You find out more about the pretties and the cities and what not, but I don't want to ruin the storyline.

In the first book (Uglies), Tally is an ugly who meets up with this girl, Shea, also an ugly. Shea wants to run away to this place called The Smoke, which is made up of a group of people who stay ugly forever, and work to live. It's a rough lifestyle, almost camping. So, the city sends Tally after Shea to betray the Smoke, where some stuff happens involving Tally and Shea and this kid, David. I'm trying not to ruin the plot, haha.

But it's a great series. 

Umm, I'd try the early Maximum Ride books. They were less stupendous when the plot ended and Patterson's commentary on global warming started, around book four I think. (Not that there's anything wrong with politics or anything, but he turned the entire book series into it.)

Graceling and Fire, by Kristin Cashore were really good and kind of like the Hunger Games.

Also, Percy Jackson, on the off chance you haven't read that. Always a good series. 

I've heard good things about Matched, but haven't read it. The Giver was good, and so were Blue and Messenger.. but I don't know what age those are aimed at.

whatshouldireadnext.com is my best friend.

I just read Hunger Games too! Three nights in a row, all three books, and I bought each one on kindle because I couldn't possibly wait for Barnes/la bibliotheque. It was a pretty dang good series and I tell everyone and their mom about it.

Have you ever read Feed? Or, Across the Universe? < that one just recently came out and I enjoyed it a lot. Utopian flair, mad dictator, that sort of thing. Feed is a bit different, but still a great read.

Shade's children by Garth Nix was really good, it kind of goes into the horror part along with the sci-fi dystopia. You might also like The Giver, V for Vendetta (not the movie, it originally was spun off of a comic book and a book), The city of Bones (haven't read this yet but it seems good) and the Dark tower series by Stephen King
I love those books, too. : ) You might like Matched by Ally Condie. The beginning was a bit slow for me, but I was hooked by the end. As for Paper Towns, I'd definitely recommend Freak Magnet by Andrew Auseon. It's in the vein of many of John Green's novels, and had me laughing out loud during some parts. I hope that helps. : )
Great books I think everyone should read: The Myst Reader and the Abhorsen series. 

The Giver by Lois Lowry. It is a great story and it also happens in a futuristic controlled society. It is very similar to the Hunger Games in many aspects. I hope you like it. =)

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service