Nerdfighters

I have been an atheist for a while and have always been looking for an argument that will prove the existence of A GOD. A GOD is in all caps to show that I am not looking for you to prove the christian god or the greek gods, all i want is proof of the existence of a higher power that created all things. He does not have to be a moral being, nor does he have to give to craps about his creation. I just want someone to prove that he is there (I use he because in the English language we assume masculine when no gender is put forth). So anyone of any background of any knowledge level go for it. 

Oh and as a side note, yes you do have to prove that god is there, i don't have to prove he is not. It is like asking someone to prove that a dragon exists when the dragon will become undetectable the minute a person looks at is. The same is true for god. He does not exist in our plane of being as I have been told oh so many times and therefore cannot be detected in any way. So don't come in here and say that I have to prove that there is no god. That is for another debate.

Tags: eleven, existence, fish, god, moose, pie

Views: 3816

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How awesomely funny would it be if it turned out that the universe was actually shaped like the flying spaghetti monster.  You know, don't eat the worm holes :P

I see you have blessed by his noodly appendage. 

You are wise in the ways of the menu. 

RAMEN!

It can't be proved, and it can't be disproved. It's what you think. Religion is man made!

What about the notion that religion is a response to revelation from God?

I don't think someone just went and said, "hey everybody let's pray to some big guy in the sky with for reason." In the beginning of Christianity (or any religion) there had to have been something to make those people become religious; whether it really was an act of God or not, no one will know for sure. But even if God existed, I don't believe He really made all of those rules you find in the Bible to be a Christian. That's the part where religion is man-made - MEN made those rules. If that makes sense. :-)

I disagree. Remember though, there are only two commandments in the Bible that matter. Love God, and love your neighbour (others) as you love yourself. That's what Jesus said. Upon those two, everything else in the Bible is based.

I tried sending you a message, but it says we have to be friends first, so I'll just put it here:  I stopped coming here more than two years ago, but remember you being on here, and you're still going strong.  I, for one, got tired of this debate.  If I remember right, this and only a couple other debates really got Nerdfighters going, everything else people more or less agreed on.  Anyway, good on ya for sticking with it.

Can I just throw in here that, if you are sincere in your request, you are one of the few true Atheists I've ever met.  Because God can't be proved not to be there, true Atheists must be constantly striving to find evidence that God does exist.  Anything but constant vigilance and you're not a true Atheist, so I commend you (assuming you're sincere).

I'm sure that this has already been said a few times, but I've always found this argument to be a bit obsolete. I don't really have any particular religious or non-religious convictions as of yet, but it's always been my understanding that the idea of God is definitionally speaking beyond the bounds of human logic and reason. You can't prove it necessarily, but philosophically speaking you also can't DISPROVE it either, since you can't make a claim that an entity transcending the human mind does not exist based on evidence obtained by the human mind. That's where the whole idea of faith comes in. You either believe that there is something bigger than you or you don't. And in my humble opinion, either belief is fine, and neither has to or even can prove anything to the other. 

I don't really have any particular religious or non-religious convictions as of yet, but it's always been my understanding that the idea of God is definitionally speaking beyond the bounds of human logic and reason.

The entirety of God, yes. But we can still understand him in all that we need to, and what he wants of us.

"The entirety of God, yes. But we can still understand him in all that we need to, and what he wants of us."

Within a some interpretations of the idea of god.  Not all of them. 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service