Nerdfighters

Nerdfighters, I desperately need to get as many replies to the following questions as I can for an assignment I'm doing on Nerdfighteria. If you could please post your answers below, it would be amazing. (Shouldn't take too long as most of them are yes/no questions).

1.       When did you first consider yourself a member of the Nerdfighter community?

2.       Why did you choose to associate yourself with the Nerdfighter community?

3.       How has your involvement with Nerdfighteria influenced your personality?

4.       Do you feel accepted, included & valued by the Nerdfighter community?

5.       Have you gained personal confidence through the acceptance into Nerdfighteria?

6.       Do you feel discriminated against based on any grounds within Nerdfighteria? If so, why?

7.       Have you made personal connections with any other YouTubers through Nerdfighteria?

8.       Do you believe that the internet, specifically YouTube & Nerdfighteria, has “the ability to connect with people based on common
interests, rather than common location”?

9.       Do you believe that Nerdfighteria has enabled you to make connections with people internationally more easily?

10.   Would you attribute the ability of so many nerds to unite as an international community is the result of advancing technology?

11.   Do you find it easy to manoeuvre YouTube and utilise the internet for communication?

Thank you so much! DFTBA!

Tags: nerdfighteria, nerdfighters, questions

Views: 23

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. When did you first consider yourself a member of the Nerdfighter community?
As soon as I found out what a Nerdfighter was! That was September 2009, so almost a year.

2. Why did you choose to associate yourself with the Nerdfighter community?
It immediately struck me as the kind of community that was open to anyone, super fun, and shared similar interests as me. It also doesn't hurt that many Nerdfighters are also introverted so I'm not alone!

3. How has your involvement with Nerdfighteria influenced your personality?
I wouldn't say it's influenced my personality at all, to be honest. I am the same person I was before but I simply know more people who share the same interests, which is awesome!

4. Do you feel accepted, included & valued by the Nerdfighter community?
More so than any other online community I've been part of. It doesn't constantly feel like a competition to be the best here, everyone just is who they are.

5. Have you gained personal confidence through the acceptance into Nerdfighteria?
No, like I said, I knew myself pretty well and was comfortable with myself before Nerdfighteria, it just rules having like-minded people.

6. Do you feel discriminated against based on any grounds within Nerdfighteria? If so, why?
Only in my own head. Sometimes I feel as if I can't be a Nerdfighter because I am not a complete "nerd" in the traditional sense, at least. But that's more of a self-imposed discrimination.

7. Have you made personal connections with any other YouTubers through Nerdfighteria?
No. I've been lurking for a very long time. I'm working on it, though!

8. Do you believe that the internet, specifically YouTube & Nerdfighteria, has “the ability to connect with people based on common interests, rather than common location”?
Yes.

9. Do you believe that Nerdfighteria has enabled you to make connections with people internationally more easily?
No. The whole internet allows you to communicate internationally. Before I had ever heard of Nerdfighters, I had made some great online friends on other websites. Nerdfighteria is just another facet... I would say it just speeds up the process of finding similar people to myself.

10. Would you attribute the ability of so many nerds to unite as an international community is the result of advancing technology?
Yes. Yes yes yes yes!

11. Do you find it easy to manoeuvre YouTube and utilise the internet for communication?
I personally don't have any difficulty with it.

About six months ago. Guesstimation.

Because I want to be made of awesome. And I love all of John Green's books.

I have unleashed my dark side.

Yes, I can completely geek out on this site and no one cares! :]]

5. Have you gained personal confidence through the acceptance into Nerdfighteria?
A bit, I suppose.

6. Do you feel discriminated against based on any grounds within Nerdfighteria? If so, why?
Not really.

7. Have you made personal connections with any other YouTubers through Nerdfighteria?
Not yet! Although I wouldn't really consider myself a youtuber.

8. Do you believe that the internet, specifically YouTube & Nerdfighteria, has “the ability to connect with people based on common interests, rather than common location”?
Yes, It's a beautiful thing.

9. Do you believe that Nerdfighteria has enabled you to make connections with people internationally more easily?
Yes, in a way.

10. Would you attribute the ability of so many nerds to unite as an international community is the result of advancing technology?
Yes. I would have never come in to contact with everyone on here if it weren't for the internet. Besides, now we have a whole nerdy army.

11. Do you find it easy to manoeuvre YouTube and utilise the internet for communication?
Very.

July 2010.

Because I love that there is a community where nerdiness is the common denominator.

I care less about what people think of me, and as a result am more passionate about my interests.

Sure.

Yes!

I don't.

No, not yet.

8. Do you believe that the internet, specifically YouTube & Nerdfighteria, has “the ability to connect with people based on common
interests, rather than common location”?
Oh, yes.

I do.

Yes.

Yup.

When I first heard about what a nerdfighter was, and what it meant. Which was, if you need to know an actual time, July 2009.

Nerdfighters are made of awesome, and they reduce world suck. Who wouldn't want to become a part of that?

I've noticed that I've become more open, and outgoing. I also find that I can do things like, sing my random songs in public, make extremely ugly/hilarious faces, and dance in public.

Yes. I feel like we're all excepting of the things that we do because we all are nerds. We all understand.

Yes! So much confidence. I used to not be able to do tons of things, but now I know that there are tons of nerdfighters, and I feel like there is no reason to not be confident, and not to absolutely love the way I am.

Not really. I don't feel like people are really sexist here, when they aren't joking. And age doesn't seem to matter, because there are tons of nerdfighters of all different ages.

Yes. I've met YouTube friends, and now I have friends who make videos, and stuff.

Yes. These sites can show that, even though someone is half way across the world, you can still be a lot alike. You can still be friends.

Of course. Before my introduction to nerdfighters I had no friends in any place besides my own town. Now I have friends all over the world.

A part of it, but not all of it. I think that Nerdfighteria could have expanded with all of the things we have today, but I know that a part of it has to do with the ability to use the internet to our advantage, by learning new things and meeting new types of people.

Superdyduperity easy.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service