Nerdfighters

Here is my review of Rick Perry's recent campaign ad. 

I want to know you honestly would vote for this guy. 

Tags: 2012, Advertisement, America, Campaign, Election, Perry, Presidential, Rick, States, United, More…of

Views: 851

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And what about saying Merry Christmas to people who aren't Christian? They don't want to assume you are Christian so they say happy holidays. 

Yes, but the idea that someone is offended by encouraging you to celebrate a holiday which you may not subscribe to the religion of is fairly absurd. Especially with Christmas, which is a holiday that everyone on here has taken pains to tell me is not seriously religious anymore. Basicly, its just being over PC. No one will be offended if you say "merry Christmas" to them if they're not Christian. If they are, they need a thicker skin.

No one will be offended if you say "merry Christmas" to them if they're not Christian. If they are, they need a thicker skin.

That knife cuts both ways. Would a Christian be overly sensitive and get upset if someone wishes them a Happy Holidays over a Merry Christmas? Yes, and they call it a War on Christmas. See people only worry about the wording and not the intent. This time of year is all about "togetherness" as they say, but it would seem that there are parties out there that would hate to take second billing on the holiday list. I personally would like to see everyone just coexist with each other, regardless of belief and faith. I wish my family Merry Christmas, because they are Christian, and they say the same to me, even knowing that I am not. I match my friends to their beliefs and with them tidings in their faiths standard.

That knife cuts both ways. Would a Christian be overly sensitive and get upset if someone wishes them a Happy Holidays over a Merry Christmas?

No, they shouldn't. The people who do are over sensitive. That wasn't my point. My point was that mandating the saying of "happy holidays" is over PC and as such many Christians, and members of other religions, feel a little bothered. If they are bothered by people saying "happy holidays" then yes, they're over-sensitive. But retail managers telling people to only say happy holidays is overbearing. Let people say what they want to say.

They tell their employees to say that so as not to easily offend anyone who isn't Christian and is oversensitive. They want to make a sale and if their customers are unhappy, they won't make a sale. Telling people to say "happy holidays" is a way to keep all the customers happy.

That's good to hear.  And I hope you have a marvelous Kwanzaa.

it does bother me the ammount of people who don't understand the Christian importance and limit it to just buying presents etc.

Keep Saturn in Saturnalia.

It does bother me, the amount of people who don't understand the pagan importance and limit it to just Christian celebration, etc.

;)

Well, I can understand that. But my family believes that there is a secular "Christmas" which is merely commercial, and one that is religious. Gifts can be saved for birthdays; what we usually do on Christmas is give "gifts" in the form of charitable donations. But it isn't the responsibility of the government to control how a holiday is celebrated, religious or not.

I don't follow Rick but what I heard wasn't bad. Hewasn't being anti gay. He was talking about anti christans and anti christmas. That is a big republican thing. They get all riled up when people call christmas trees holiday trees and poop like that.

He wasn't being anti gay.

Erm...yes he was

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/12/anti-gay-...

"On Tuesday the White House sent out a memorandum "directing all agencies engaged abroad to ensure that US diplomacy and foreign assistance promote and protect the human rights of LGBT persons." This is in keeping with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, of which America is a signatory, and in response to the tragic violence and oppression gays still face in many countries around the world. The memo is more symbolic than anything else, because in reality the new policy doesn't do all that much. In a speech on the same topic, Hillary Clinton said America has committed more than $3m to help groups working on LGBT issues around the world. Feel free to correct my math, but I believe that's about .0001% of America's budget.

To Rick Perry, this is reprehensible.

Just when you thought Barack Obama couldn’t get any more out of touch with America’s values, AP reports his administration wants to make foreign aid decisions based on gay rights. This administration’s war on traditional American values must stop... Promoting special rights for gays in foreign countries is not in America’s interests and not worth a dime of taxpayers’ money.

I was going to say the same thing... :P

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service