Nerdfighters

My friend and I were having this discussion a while back, and I wanted to know what everyone else thinks. Between my friend and me, we were very one-sided that war shouldn't be supported, but the individual troops should be because they either fight for the security of the homeland or they were just forced to. We also came to the acceptance that although we are against war, it's a part of the world that can't be easily changed and will probably happen for one reason or another.

So Nerdfighters, what's your take on war and the troops?

Tags: support, troops, war

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hello all im a disabled american veteran at age 22 (i was discharged 2 years ago) and my point of view going into it was that it was something i wanted to strongly do my father had been in the navy and my grandfather had been in the army (we actually ended up with the same job as a medic) and my opinion on the whole thing was that you dont have to like your boss you just have to like your job... i knew that yeah were not fighting a war i believe in personally but i believe in my fellow man so if there was something i could do to help the troops over there i would do what it takes ive been told many times that i was an idiot for enlisting in a time of war and ive been told many times of how im a hero on both sides of the spectrum but even in the darkest of times inaction is never a solution
I don't think that anyone is promoting inaction, but a different course of action.
I definitely agree with you there, I don't support the war, but I feel the troops did something very difficult so deserve respect, but I don't support the war as a whole.
I agree with you. I don't support the war, but I support the troops.
is there anyone out there who supports the war but not the troops?
I totally agree although if you support individual troop then technically you're supporting the war because without troops there would be no war and can't be war. Another reason for this is that troops fight the war so they are the war, so no matter which side you argue you are still supporting war.
I remember one of my teachers making a great point that you don't have to support the cause, but you do need to support your troops.

They don't pick the war, they just choose to fight and quite possibly die for the people in their country, and that's the most admirable thing I can think of.
I support the war in Iraq, just not the way it has been executed. We assumed that the information we and EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD had was right, because everyone thought it was right. We forgot Murphy's Law and the rule that every officer should know "Battle planes never survive contact with the enemy." When we went into Iraq we tried to KNOW everything that was going to happen and we left very little room for error. Which was not Bush's fault, he, like any good president trusted his military officers and his SoW. And sense they trusted the CIA and our allies informants, we had good reason to think we would be in and out by, I think the original planes had most troops out by like, 2007? With troops staying in country and eventually setting up a Military base there like in Germany, Saudi Arabia etc.

I also support the troops. I plan on enlisting after college and becoming an officer.

tl;dr I support the war, but believe it could have been planned better. I also firmly support the troops.
To quote Noam Chomsky:
"The point of public relations slogans like "Support our troops" is that they don't mean anything... That's the whole point of good propaganda.You want to create a slogan that nobody's going to be against, and everybody's going to be for.Nobody knows what it means, because it doesn't mean anything.Its crucial value is that it diverts your attention from a question that does mean something: Do you support our policy? That's the one you're not allowed to talk about."
I agree... people think supporting the troops and supporting the war is the same...its not! I don't support our pointless war but i support our troops by wanting to bring them home safely
I completely agree with you, Wilson. And Kenny M.? Please don't, we appreciate your enthusiam, it's the type of people like you that protects our nation, but just don't, because it's extremely dangerous, and the war will never end if you keep fighting.
Think to be perfectly honest we have to hand it to the troops, it's not an easy job and they are (were?) being commanded by some of the biggest pillocks even given power. I think you can support the troops but not the war, especially due to the amount of good peacekeeping projects and help with humanitarian efforts that they maintain.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service