Nerdfighters

I live in Canada it's November I'm drinking eggnog and it's warm enough out to wear sandals and shorts.

I'm no climatologist but I think there's something wrong here.

Tags: change, climate, global, warming

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One warm spell in November is statistically insignificant. Climatologists would be more interested in a shift in the average November temperature.
The average November temperature is getting hotter it should be a lot colder then this.
Keep in mind that there are all kinds of weather trends in the world and you are only looking at one area over a few years. Climatologists are looking at thousands of data points over 150 years and have found a one degree celcius rise in air temperature which you are not likely to see in a couple decades. Climate science is one of the most complicated tasks that science has ever worked on as it is extremely complicated, but if they are correct it is also one of the most important projects in the history of civilization. Remember we are living in the test tube here.
Climatologists are looking at thousands of data points over 150 years and have found a one degree celcius rise in air temperature which you are not likely to see in a couple decades.

That's a one degree average for the entire planet. There are still plenty of places that are becoming drastically warmer while others are becoming cooler.
It's rather annoying isn't it? All of my summer stuff is put away, I have my winter jacket out and I've put the heavier parts of my school uniform at the front of the closet so I'll be warmer when it's cold. But it's not cold, so I'm annoyingly hot, have a coat that I have to lug around instead of wearing and have to endure the heat from wearing my uniform because I can't take it off or I'll get sent to the office.
Sorry about the rant.
Ask around, ask old people, and I suspect you'll find this isn't such a rare occurrence. In my home, New York's Finger Lakes, brown Christmas' are a fairly common thing, let alone a warm November. In fact it's common enough to be part of the folklore - they say a brown Christmas means a white Easter. Totally coincidental, of course, warm Decembers are about as common as snow in April.
What I'm getting at is local micro-climates are complex. Global warming is happening, but about the least reliable way to keep track of this is, ironically, looking at a thermometer. You need to watch long term effects such as polar ice, and the size of glaciers. But temperature - average temperature is close to meaningless, and anyone who relies on average temperature is oversimplifying their computer models.
there is your drinking eggnog in November BEFORE THANKSGIVING
heavens we're rushing everying this year arn't we
I live in Canada We already had are Thanksgiving.
sorry didn't know
That's OK
I believe the problem lies in your fear of commas.
What?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service