Nerdfighters

Essentially, TheSpeedGamers (or TSG for short) are a bunch of awesome guys and girls that have video game marathons in order to raise money for various charities. 

This is copy pasted from their site, because it explains it a lot better than I can:

"TheSpeedGamers was founded by Britt LaRivere in the Dallas-Fort Worth area of Texas. One day Britt and a few of his friends decided to have a weekend gaming marathon for fun, like most of us do on our spare weekends, when an idea was formed. “Why not do stream it live?” he wondered. Just then another idea was formed, “Why not do it for charity?”. This is the basis for how TSG as you know it was formed.

Since that first marathon in March 2008, TSG has expanded to include members from around the world, and went on to do multiple marathons for a myriad of charities and causes; Some of which include St. Jude, Susan G. Komen, ACT Today, and Ally’s House. They have proven that gamers can do more then just play games, they can also help save or better the lives of others."

To date, they've raised approximately 392k for various charities.

Next Marathon: Weeklong Final Fantasy, June 24-July 1

Benefitting: ACT Today (Autism Care and Treatment)

That's right, a whole stinkin' week of this awesomeness. Their goal will be to raise $50,000 dollars for Act Today, one of the largest autism charities out there.

If you'd like to help, then please spread the word any way you can (Facebook, Twitter, flinging fliers out of your car window while driving through a city, etc.).

Tags: Square-enix, TSG, charity, fantasy, final, games, marathon, nintendo, streaming, video

Views: 478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to help. But i live in New Jersey, is there any way i can get involved online?

Absolutely! Spreading the word is the easiest and most effective way to help. You can make topics on other forums, and even something as simple as mentioning TSG and the marathon in a Facebook or Twitter post helps. Feel free to copy paste anything out of the original post that you would like to use.

Thanks!

Is there a way to participate in the actual gaming marathon?

This is copy/pasted from the TSG FAQ (yay initialisms):

"Can I play a game for you?"

We know you would like to play, however we need to be able to trust our players. Most players are Moderators from the forum, people who have been known for a long time to be trustworthy and dependable. Also, the schedule is planned out for marathons well ahead of time, in all likelihood we already have someone ready to play the game you were thinking of.

So basically, if you want to play for a TSG marathon, you're going to have to be known and trusted around the community and such, and that takes time. Anybody you see playing in the marathon has most likely been around for 3-4 years, though there are some who haven't been around quite so long.

However, if you'd like to play for a marathon, just not this one, there are two community marathons coming up in the summer that are open to anyone and everyone who wants to join. 

The first is the Game Boy Extravaganza on May 10-13 to benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Info here: http://community.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=18060

The second is just a for-fun marathon being put together by a community member that doesn't have a set date/time yet. Info here: http://community.thespeedgamers.com/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=17942

Hope that helps!

You can try and participate in AGDQ 2014, I think it's to late for SGDQ as thats in a couple of weeks but hey try and contact them, or meet up with me in the chat! http://marathon.speeddemosarchive.com/

There is something very similar, I wouldn't be surprised if they are related or already involved with this other project. As I think most of the speed running community is connected. 

Every January there is an event called AGDQ (awesome games done quick) it's held in the East coast I believe I'm not to sure because I've only seen it this year, how ever this was there biggest year ever and they raised over 420k for a cancer charity. This was more than all of the previous years combined.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMNeTFVQZEQMgFpax9Hc_yuEblX54...

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service