Nerdfighters

I was raised Christian, and both of my parents are nurses who, at one time or another have had to deal with girls who had been raped and didn't want a child, so this subject is kind of controversial for me.

On one hand I have been taught my whole life that abortion was wrong, and even that tiny bundle of cells at the very beginning of a pregnancy is a human, but I've met a lot of my parent's patients who had been raped.

Of course, there's always the option of going through the pregnancy/birthing process, and then putting the baby up for adoption, but what 16 or 17 year old girl who didn't have any say in the sex wants to be pregnant for 9 months while trying to go through highschool? I mean, I can just imagine the ridicule. Highschoolers can be harsh, and a re VERY good at coming up with false stories.

I was just wondering what everyone's views on it were. And please, no hate comments. Whether it be people hating on Christians, or Christians hating on someone who is okay with abortion. Especially you guys Christians. I feel very disappointed when someone who has been taught by God to respect EVERYONE'S opinion go and disrespect people who don't share the same views.

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've not called anyone "morally evil". But I have called an action wrong. There is a fundimental diffrence.
Not inferring it on yourself verty, but if you listen to half of those pastors you know they're thinking it.

Check again. Divorce is allowed in the Bible on the grounds of adultury or abuse.

And surely, all Christian couples who get divorced only do so for one of those two reasons.  

I'm pro-choice. As long as it's done early it isn't worse than birth control or condoms or whatever.

On top of everything that's already been said, there are the societal benefits of legalizing abortion. Anyone who read Freakonomics should know what I mean. 

Many people who want to get abortions want to do so because they feel they would be incapable of effectively raising a child. Most times, they are correct. If they get an abortion, then peaches. If they don't, society has one more child growing up in a bad home, with parents both mentally and financially unprepared for child rearing. And as anyone will tell you, kid's that grow up in these sorts of situations are far more likely to turn to crime in the future. Less kids in bad homes=less future criminals=happy society.

It's a controversial topic, especially where I live in Ireland. The laws are very bound up with religion here and abortion is still illegal even in extreme circumstances like what you mentioned about if the girl was a rape victim. 

At the end of the day, I'm pro choice. I'd rather the fetus be aborted than have it be born and grow up with a mother that didn't want it. I mean if you think about a situation, I know this isn't EVERY case of abortion, but it's common, A girl in her early 20's, one mistake after a night out. She's got a minimum wage job, can barely afford to keep herself healthy let alone the child and the father wants nothing to do with her. Are people honestly saying they'd force her to carry that kid? Even if she put it up for adoption, she'd have to live with the scars and the ridicule and not to mention the cost of medical bills during her pregnancy. It certainly wouldn't help her to keep the kid, and even if she got an abortion, she'd have to deal with all these pro life activists always shoving their opinions down her throat. It's not an easy thing to live with, I don't understand why people feel the need to make it harder.

And then there are cases when the mothers life, not only the baby comes into play. I know plenty of conditions where the mothers life is severely put at risk by childbirth. Are you gonna deny that woman the rest of her life just to protect something that in my opinion isn't a person yet. 

While saying all this however, I know there are some really stupid people out there. I'm not denying that some pro choice women are people who'd sleep with a different guy each night and use abortion like birth control. But these people are a minority, if we could educate them to seeing that it's not an alternative to a condom, we'd be able to help the problem even a little.

It's the responsibility of someone put in a situation they can't escape whether or not to abort. It's not religions, it's not a politicians, it's not anyones except the parents. They're the only ones who know their situation and know what's best, it's up to them to make an informed decision. 

Just because a person may think it ethically correct to not abort the child, it doesn't necessarily make it the right decision, as they may be incapable of looking after it, making the unborn child a burden rather than a joy.

That may be the case, but I don't think thats enough of a reason to kill a human being.  

Another factor to consider is the odd chance of a medical condition/ genetic disorder, in which case younger parents and or parents with active careers, may not be eager to take on the responsibility, as perhaps they cannot afford it, or don't have enough free time- even for the pregnancy.

All this seems very superfical. Enough time, active lives? We're talking about someone's existance. Imagine being told that actually, it would have been better if you never existed because your parents "didn't have the time" 

The better thing, I feel, for Christians to be involved with the abortion debate, is to take up the wings by setting up orphanages and care homes and childcare facilities for families who need it so that abortion is not a nessecary option. A slogan I've heard in America is "kill the crisis, not the child"

Abortion doesn't deal with unwanted children. It deals with unwanted pregnancies. A person who gets pregnant and doesn't want to give birth and carry a baby aborts. A person who is just concerned about not being able to care for the actual child is more likely to just put it up for adoption. If you want to fix the problem, figure out a way in which you can take an non-viable fetus out of a person's womb and still have it live. Would you rather have a person kill themself just so they don't have to be pregnant anymore? Would you rather have the parent die because of problems caused by carrying a baby for 9 months? Also, when most abortions are performed, the fetus can't feel pain (it responds to stimuli, but is not developed enough to actually understand "oh hey, that hurts, make it stop!") and isn't capable of higher thinking so it can't be afraid that it's being aborted or what have you.

Abortion doesn't deal with unwanted children. It deals with unwanted pregnancies.

There isn't much of an objective difference, except one has been born and the other hasn't. Scientificly speaking, they're both human beings, just in different stages of development.

Would you rather have a person kill themself just so they don't have to be pregnant anymore? Would you rather have the parent die because of problems caused by carrying a baby for 9 months?

No, I wouldn't want either of those things, nor do I want it an accepted practice that people can eliminate their children.

lso, when most abortions are performed, the fetus can't feel pain (it responds to stimuli, but is not developed enough to actually understand "oh hey, that hurts, make it stop!") and isn't capable of higher thinking so it can't be afraid that it's being aborted or what have you.

Does that make it somehow less human?

A fetus Verty is not a child. It cannot think, it cannot feel. Only after it has developed to form fully can you even describe it as a child.

The saying "I think therefore I am" works perfectly here.

The saying "I think therefore I am" works perfectly here.

That saying is a philosophical construct, not a biological one. 

A fetus Verty is not a child. It cannot think, it cannot feel. Only after it has developed to form fully can you even describe it as a child.

Arbitary. All arbitary. You may think all those things but you have no concrete basis for your judgement. Since we were all now fetusus at some point, why do we not deserve the same protection then as now. And don't say "we can feel" etc. Give me an objective reason. Not one based on your own opinions. Explain to me, in an objective, scientific fashion, exactly why a fetus and a grown human being are not worthy of the same legal protections of the right to life.

The fetus cannot sustain itself, it depends on the mother. A fully grown human can sustain itself - as long as it is physically and mentally sound - therefore there is a huge difference between a fetus and fully grown human.

Now, if we were to infer the same legal rights of a living, breathing human to a fetus, would you charge those soon to be mothers with murder if they had an abortion?

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service