Nerdfighters

In the UK we chuck out a third of the food we buy. Is there a moral argument against being so wasteful?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/ethicallivingblog/2009/jul/17...

there are comments at the bottom of the article

Views: 92

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dumpster Diving Tips: The Freegan Way (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/17/dumpster-diving-tips-the_n...

My family doesn't waste much. Most of what we buy is pre-frozen with a long shelf life (we eat a lot of seafood, which tends to freeze well). Juice doesn't go bad quickly and neither does soymilk. We tend to keep everything in a sealed container. Sometimes the leftover block of cheese goes bad before we get to eat all of it. It happens. You can't control that. I think that schools and other organizations contribute to this way more than homes do, but unfortunately, they need to have such strict guidelines on expiration dates in schools because you don't want to poison the whole class. Throwing out food just because "oh it didn't sell so we're just gonna get rid of it" is messed up, though. They really need a good system for dealing with unwanted cafeteria food. 

I think it's equally messed up to consider dumpster-diving to feed the poor something good. The last thing a homeless person needs is to have food poisoning or parasites. Feeding the homeless is good. Infecting the homeless with nasty diseases is bad. If you really care about them, you'll at least get them fresh veggies (which are what dumpster-divers tend to go for in the trash anyway) because most common ones are pretty affordable in-season. It's way less work than jumping in a trash can, and it's way healthier. Collecting one-day-past-the-date leftovers from restaurants that haven't been lying around is also fine by me. But random vege that's been out for who-knows-how-long? Nobody should have to eat that, especially when the people who are running the food giveaways are usually fairly privileged middle-class people who can at least afford to buy some tomatoes instead of plucking them from bins of rotting crud. The food may look good, but you don't know what could be wrong with it. I think there definitely needs to be a collection system for scrap/almost-expired food that supermarkets and restaurants tend to throw out so that the poor have access to more food that is actually safe. If you want to eat it, fine, but giving it to somebody who has almost no access to medicine in case they get really sick from it is just not right. I totally support it when the cops shut down Food Not Bombs setups for health reasons. It's a shame that they dumpster-dive, because providing the poor with healthy vegan food is a great idea, but I've seen how badly some people respond to GI infections, and I can't even imagine how deadly some of them can be to a person on the streets who has no insurance. 

I eat out of bins too. So what?

Freegans know the best use of leftover food is to eat it – why arrest a woman for picking up discarded waffles?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/feb/15/bins-freegans-l...
I have no problem with people feeding themselves with dumpster food, but I do have problems with people offering the food to other people, especially people who don't have access to healthcare. I understand that many freegans do manage to live healthy lives, but the risk of food-borne illness is probably way higher. Also, doesn't dumpster-diving when you can afford to buy food deprive poor people who have no other options of the "good" dumpster food? And also, eating out of bins can harm small farmers even more. If you want to help the environment and local people, you're best off buying local organic food. No pesticides, you know where your money goes, you can check on the quality of life of the workers, less money is spent on transporting it, and you support local workers instead of big box stores!

you hardly suport big box stores by eating what they throw away. that's why they call the police so often. it's mainly a political activity to draw attention to the waste.

and some people perhaps can't bear to see the waste.

Read what I actually wrote. Seriously.
i did and i replied to what i found pertinent.

You need to learn better reading comprehension, then.

In no way did I state that eating from dumpsters supports big box stores. All I'm saying is that it hurts small community farms. My statement "...instead of big box stores!" was to show that buying from small independent farms is better than buying from box stores, which is one plus of buying locally-produced goods. 

If you want to help the environment and local people, you're best off buying local organic food. No pesticides, you know where your money goes, you can check on the quality of life of the workers, less money is spent on transporting it, and you support local workers instead of big box stores!

Absolutely everything you just said is pure propaganda and disastrously wrong.  Let me explain why:

No pesticides

Organic farms actually do use pesticides.  Organic pesticides.  Pesticides that kill the bugs that eat the crops, the bugs that don't eat the crops, the small animals that get too close, and generally just fuck shit up in all the ways one could assume that organic poison sprayed over fields of crops would fuck shit up.  Non-organic farms, on the other hand, use incredibly high-tech pesticides that have been developed and improved over decades and get better every year.  They're designed to kill what the farmers want dead, not hurt anything else, and leave you with apples and broccoli that aren't coated in a poison that affects humans if you eat in uncleaned.

you can check on the quality of life of the workers, less money is spent on transporting it, and you support local workers instead of big box stores!

Here are some of the biggest names in the organic food industry today:  Hershey's, Pepsi, Coke, Nestle, Kellogg, General Mills, Cargill, Kraft, Cadbury, M&M Mars and plenty of others.  

Here's a lengthy but informative article on the myths of the organic food industry:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/latest/organic-foods-be...

And queue shitstorm of denial and flaming that always seems to commence whenever I shatter idealistic dreams with cold hard facts.

I've never heard of anyone getting sick from the pesticides on organic fruit, but I've come across many people who have had bad reactions to the pesticides on corporate fruits. I personally think that organic is overrated because most people don't get sick from pesticides, and would rather see somebody buy from a non-organic local farm than from a big box store that simply uses a different kind of pesticide. 

Also, I was talking about local organic food. You know, stuff that has nothing to do with most of the stuff you listed? Read what I actually wrote. I was talking only about local organic farms, and was referring only to the ones that treat their livestock and workers well, which seem to be fairly common by me. 

I've never heard of anyone getting sick from the pesticides on organic fruit, but I've come across many people who have had bad reactions to the pesticides on corporate fruits.

And I've heard about a lot more shark attack fatalities than pig attack fatalities, but every year the amount of people killed by pigs dwarfs the amount killed by sharks.  You hear of one thing more than another; that's completely irrelevant.  Personal experience does not count as statistical proof.

Also, the biggest reaction you would have to either would be a bit of diarrhea, and even that would only happen if no one cleaned whatever you're eating between the farm and your mouth.  Regardless, the point I intended to stress was that organic pesticides do a lot more damage to the environment than synthetic ones, mentioning it affecting humans was really just meant to be icing on the cake.

Additionally additionally additionally, corporate fruits and organic fruits are more often than not the same thing.

Also, I was talking about local organic food. You know, stuff that has nothing to do with most of the stuff you listed? Read what I actually wrote. I was talking only about local organic farms, and was referring only to the ones that treat their livestock and workers well, which seem to be fairly common by me.

Even small organic farms fuck up the local environment with their inefficient and outdated organic pesticides.  And even small family businesses can mistreat their workers and pay them crap salaries.

The people I've talked to who had really bad skin reactions and such after washing their vege say otherwise. Pesticides can give you more than just the runs. And I googled stuff like "organic pesticides sick" and "organic pesticides allergy" and nothing saying that people get sick from organic pesticides came up. 

That's why with small farms, you can go in and check on the conditions to make sure they don't use slave wages or ruin the areas around the farms. 

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service