Nerdfighters

So, what books are people reading right now? What are they about? What do you think of them? Would you recommend them?

I tend to read two or three books at a time. Currently, I'm making my way through the following:
  • The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
  • Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

I only just started Ishmael, but The Omnivore's Dilemma is very good.

Tags: books

Views: 8540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

HOLY SHIT, the one by Dale Peck?! Can I tell you how amazing it is that someone else has read that?

I just finished I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak, which was great, and just became my favorite book. While I haven't been the most avid reader in the past, I'm finding myself enjoying more realistic fiction: real people in interesting, but realistic situations kinda learning about life and stuff. I'd be lying if I said this wasn't influenced by John Green getting me back into reading, but for one reason or another, it works for me.

I'm about to start Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I'm not sure what to expect of it, but I found it at a yard sale for just a quarter, so it's probably guaranteed to be worth my money and then some. Has anyone here read it and have any recommendations for it?

Actually, I really liked Life of Pi. I read it this summer, so I'm kinda foggy on details, but it was totally worth the $10 I spent on my copy (can't believe you found it for a quarter! JEALOUS).  Also, I Am The Messenger was fantastic, wanting to read The Book Thief soon.

Anyway, I'm reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand (almoooost done, it was pretty good), Party by Tom Leveen (peice of crap. I just wanted kinda of a light read), and My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok (don't really know what I think of it).

Oooh, glad to hear it! And yeah, I got pretty lucky. I recommend The Book Thief highly. It's just... an incredibly powerful book. I can't say enough good things than it. I'd say overall it's a better book than I Am The Messenger, but I enjoyed I Am The Messenger more.

I'm currently reading The Princess Diaries by Meg Cabot,

I've watched the Princess Diaries movies, but never read the book. So far, I like it!
LOVE that series!
I am reading a Richard Dawkins book, a book on the philosophy of Fear, and an amazing series titled "Obernewtyn"
Ishmael was one of the worst books that I've ever read.  Telepathic gorilla guru?  Seriously, what the hell.
I am intrigued by the ridiculousness of a telepathic gorilla guru. Perhaps I will look into this "Ishmael".
rediculous is the key word.
After taking a short break to read Paper Towns, I'm now reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke (:
I'm really into Vince Flynn novels.  I'm on my 6th (I believe), Consent to Kill.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service