Nerdfighters

Tell everyone what you're reading currently, page status, and thoughts/comments on what you've read so far?!

I am currently reading 1984 by George Orwell.  

I'm approximately 50% done.  I am enjoying it so far.  It isn't my usual genre, though. The dates and names are hard to follow, but it doesn't seem to prevent me from understanding the story.  Winston and I would be good friends if ever we had the chance to meet.  

Your turn...

Views: 1503

Replies to This Discussion

I've read The Inferno at least 3 times for various classes.  Not a huge fan... though I don't recall offhand what translation I read.  I've heard good things aboutParadiso?

I'm reading The Face on the Milk Carton again (after a previously failed attempt in which my cousin confiscated the book claiming I was not old enough to read it) and it's  really good so far. 

update: I am now reading (well,  juggling) 3 books at once. 

Horton Halfpott by Tom Angleberger (kind of a kid`s book but the cover art was by Gilbert Ford so I was obliged-- well, I obliged  myself to read it.)  

Enchanted Ivy by Sarah Beth Durst (I love reading about colleges and universities, heck, I  dream of them, alas here I toil in meagre middle school.) (wow, I made that sound way too dramatic.)

And finally The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch (a Suzanne Collins  testimony was on the cover and I am just now recovering from the Hunger Games so I had to read it. 

Now top that off with three tests and two big assignments all due next week... I am getting no sleep.

Just none. 

A Game Of Thrones. It's fracking great.

A Mix of Things, About a Boy by Nick Hornby and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason by Helen Fielding. I'm enjoying both of them. They are most certainly lighter reads, but humorous :D

Oh I love both of those books! Happy readings :)

Just finished about a boy . Nick Hornby is a genius. Do yourself a favour and read High Fidility.

In school my English class is reading The Great Gatsby. I was so happy when I found out that was one of the books for this year because it was mentioned in a video by John once.I forget now what the video was about but the title has stuck with me ever since. I am so far not disappointed, my excitement over reading it has not been wasted. 

On my own I am reading Call of the Wild, another book that has been on my "to read" list forever. It has also not disappointed!! I love the perspective of Buck and his strengths. Need to read more London.

Oh I cannot for the life of me read only one book at a time.. so I'm currently working on:

The Joke by Milan Kundera, The  Cowards by Josef Skvorecky, Leaves of Grass by Whitman, and The Help by.. whomever.. it was a movie?

I'm nearly finished with The Joke, which is fabulous (I love Kundera), and have only just started The Cowards, but so far so good... I love Czech authors.

Leaves of Grass is, of course, fabulous.  And The Help is alright, though some things I've read about it make me a little skeptical.

Just finished The Looking Glass War and started The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I am now commencing to read 4 books at once, wish me luck.

I've got:

Whatever Happened to Janie? by Caroline B. Cooney. (After finishing The Face on the Milk Carton it was imperative for me to read this.)

So B. It by Sarah Weeks (I've gotten mostly positive reviews on it and after reading the summary and first chapter, I was more or less hooked.)

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. (I bought this book because I saw the trailer for the movie and wanted to watch it BUT I've signed the read it first pledge so... yeah. Anyway, I'm halfway into this book and I absolutely adore Oskar, the main character. It takes a while to get used to Foer's... unique writing style but once you'r e into it, you're into it.) 

The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch (Yup, still haven't finished it. Oh well, I've got winter break. Maybe I'm stalling because it is really scary and distopian... MAYBE.)

I really hope I get to finish all these what with all the homework I've got. Eep.

I absolutely love Jonathan Safran Foer!! Everything Is Illuminted is fantastic as well :). I hope the film is as good as the book!

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service