I've been thinking about this book for a long time but I didn't know who to ask. I read it in fourth grade, then again in sixth. I don't remember the plot but here are some things I can remember:
- One of the main characters is a girl. She has a scene where she helps her dad hatch turtle eggs on the beach. I remember something about a storm they had to save them from or something like that...?
- Another one of the main characters is an Indian boy (or something? It's all pretty vague in my head). He has a tea party where he recieves a puzzle that was a plain, pink heart.
- The boy who gave him the gift fretted over what gift to buy him, and only settled on the heart because they were out of the white circles.
- There is a part about a Bed & Breakfast.
- There is also a mention of grandparents giving invitations that said, "bring your presence, not your presents."
- Something about a mathlete-type team that all the kids are a part of. The teacher who "coaches" or whatever is a really nice, young lady.
- The teacher has a special education kid (once again, not sure if that's right) in her class. She wrote something on the board and a bully changed it to read something demeaning to the kid when she left the room.
Thanks! This has been driving me totally crazy. Any guesses are welcome.