Nerdfighters

Did it make you laugh, cry, angry!?

What is it and tell me about it!

Tags: book, books, favorite

Views: 2010

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

DFTBA! :)

My favorite book of all time had to be Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen. It's about two insomniacs one of which who never had a child hood and the others who blames himself for his bestfriends death. Through the night they get to know each other and make up for things they lost or get to redo things. 
I loved this book because I'm an insomniac and I related to Auden a lot. It made me pretty much chuck my book at a wall. :)

oh wow o:

I'd say it would have to be Lolita as the number one. I know the plot can be a bit ... unsavory for many, but the prose is just like melted silky butter. My wife forced herself through it, and hated all that was going on, but admits it is written very nicely. To the point where she has memorized the opening lines.

"Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta.

She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita.

Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, a certain initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns."

Close seconds include Naked Lunch, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72, and Demons (aka The Possessed).

Nice!!! :)

Amazingly enough, An Abundance of Katherines is my favorite John Green book. It's so Mathy! I love it! I really love Percy Jackson, and I guess there was a point at which I was obsessed with The Hunger Games and Maximum Ride. I read a book called The Goddess Test a while back, and it was pretty good, as is the Maze Runner Trilogy and Matched and Mortal Instruments. I also liked To Kill a Mockingbird. It was really good

i still have yet to read it!

sounds interesting

My favorite novel is Atlas Shrugged. (Ayn Rand haters be damned!) The characters are really personifications, super-hero-esque, but imbued with humanity, which gives the story remarkable flavor. There's something beautiful about a man fighting against a world that has forgotten how to live, and I love the story's process of tearing into economic morality.

I recently fell in love with Looking for Alaska (which through a series of connections lead me here {speaking of which, if you enjoy book blogs, check out markreads.net if you haven't already}), and tell people it's my favorite novel, but it's so easy to let recent passions overshadow everything else. So, until I read it again, I'll defer to the first answer.

My favourite novel of all time has to be 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks. It is the most achingly beautiful piece of literature I have ever read. The characters are fully established and I feel as if I know Stephen Wraysford. 

The book opened my eyes to the miners in world war one as well as supplying a rewarding emotional plot of many characters, who you feel as if you are going on a journey with. 

I cried numerous times throughout the novel and that is what made it so incredible - the fact something that, when I began reading it, I knew little about could create such vivid emotion. 

I have many pages marked with beautiful quotes but my favourite has to be:

"You can believe in something without compromising the burden of your own existance"

I'd be very interested to know if anyone else has read this book and what they thought! Message me if you have!!

:D

Cry of the IceMark by Stuart Hill, or Pride and Prejudice. Very different topics, but still good:)

Ohhh there are so many. I'm going to go ahead and say An Autobiography of Red by Anne Carson. 

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service