Nerdfighters

Did it make you laugh, cry, angry!?

What is it and tell me about it!

Tags: book, books, favorite

Views: 2010

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

call me boring but i really enjoy paradise lost by John Milton. The Satan character is so very interesting, his motivations and the nature of "evil" brought about because of his actions; however i'm not sure if i could actually say it is my favorite book. I also enjoy the Ravenor Trilogy by Dan Abnett, it is an engaging sci fi series with a very in depth plot and a lot of good action.

I read Paradise Lost in English last year, and I really enjoyed it too. It was definitely a different take on those events.

My favorite book, would actually have to be a series of books, called The Mortal Instrument and also The Inferno Devices series. They are so good, I could not stop reading them, Cassandra Clare is the best writer! I would recommend these series to everyone!

Right now my favorite book is a tie. Beauty by Robin McKinley and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I love them both so mu-huh-huch!!

Kind of a strange favourite, but I'm kind of in love with the book The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, I'm pretty sure it's technically a children book, but it's my personal ANA.

My favorite books are Stargirl and Love, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli. The books have the themes: non-conformity, loving yourself, teenage love, and growing up. However, I really believe there is something spiritual about the books... but maybe that's just me and my preoccupation with The Universe and mystical things. I might be reading too much into the books.

But no matter what your opinion is about "lessons from a book", I have to say that reading Stargirl was a pivotal moment in my life, because it drove me to reexamine myself and my beliefs. With Love, Stargirl, I continued my journey of spiritual growth and self-discovery. I guess you can say that the books have become my guide to life and living.

I have read some great books in my short life and I probably will read many more, but The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings will always be my favourite. I grew up with The Hobbit and I always loved Middle-Earth. And The Shire. I still want to be a Hobbit. I think I would be very happy.

The thing is, it is not necessary the book I love (which I also love, very, very much), but more the world behind the book. The stories, the legends, the history Tolkien all invented just to write this story. It's like there's this whole world behind the pages. I love it.

I suspect everyone here already knows why Harry Potter is so awesome so I'll talk about a few of my second favorites now. 

Looking for Alaska, John Green: In the first 5 days that I had this book I read it 3 times. It was just that entertaining. For me, it really changed the way I looked at reading. I always went for the complex series in hopes of finding another Harry Potter, but this book showed me that there are other kinds of books that I can like. It opened my mind to a whole new genre of books.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Saffron Foer: This book was very quirky with lots of interesting ideas. It was sort of a mystery and kept my eyes glued to the pages. 

Some other books I have enjoyed include The Hunger Games, Gone, The Book Thief, and I am the Messenger.

Hands down, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It has a lot to do with religion, but it isn't preachy or annoying and shows religion in a good way, as a thing that can give people hope. I am not not at all a religious person, but I absolutely loved it. The main character, Owen Meany, is by far my favorite character ever. It made me cry, it mad me laugh, and it made me happy. Owen's faith is blindingly hopeful and I wish I could have a relationship with God like he does. I'm making it seem like it's all about religion, but it also deals with friendship, war, and most of all, love. I consider it to be an epic, not only because it spans a great amount of time, but also because it shows us an intimate portrait of friendship and death through characters that change over time. Owen believes he is a prophet, and he knows how he is going to die. It is over 600 pages long, but it is interesting and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the very last page.

I absolutely love "As I Lay Dying" by the great William Faulkner. It is by far my favorite!

The Giver by Lois Lowry is one of my all-time favorites. Harry Potter series (the first "favorite" I ever had), and the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. Oo! And Cry of the Icemark :)

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service