Nerdfighters

historically speaking religion was made to explain stuff inexplicable at the time if we are on the coarse to explain almost everything in our natural world why is religion still around

Tags: religion

Views: 2165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay then, well let's work those statements in context. Jesus, when he was here, said that his spirit would remain. That was a promise. Now, consider the fact that everything else Jesus said was true. Those things were supported by all the witnesses I mentioned. Jesus at every turn supported and proved his own authority in all things. Therefore, on the back of that authority, I'm willing to suppose that his spirit is still here.

Also, with the question of Paul, he was given knowledge in the vision he couldn't of otherwise possessed (Namely, where to go and who to see to get his sight restored) so I'm willing to bet that was Jesus.

Stress.

If you are asking "With the ever expanding collection of human knowledge and with so many answered questions, why do so many humans, even worldly ones, still hold onto supernatural beliefs?

The answer is: It makes life easier to deal with. Not a cop out, really. Such beliefs reduce stress. They provide an idea that is too big to be crushed under hardship, provides a receptacle for emotional dumping, a center for community building, and relieve anxiety.

These affects are very real and very beneficial, however, loose your footing and you can easily become delusional.

For example, perhaps anyone can relate to a time in their life in which they lived paycheck-to-paycheck, hand-to-mouth, month to month? How stressful it can be to just barely afford the bare essentials. Perhaps we all fantasize about a prospect or opportunity or great fortune? We imagine what life would be like if we had a few hundred thousand in the bank account to buffer our finances. We know what a relief that fantasy offers, even though we know it isn't real. We can extend that relief throughout the day, however, we do not act on the fantasy that created it. We don't actually buy new cars and go on shopping sprees. That would be crazy.

We contain the fantasy and keep the beneficial feelings.

Perhaps, to extend those feelings and give ourselves a sense of control, we create guideline, rules, patterns or maybe a loophole to either alleviate, temporarily escape, or manage financial problems. However, if any such behavior hurts our finances more than it helps, to persist would be crazy.

For a lot of people who identify with a religion, this is how they go about it. They may believe in the judeo-christian god and refer to him during internal conversations...but they don't actually sacrifice livestock, believe that the devil is in rock music, dismiss germ theory or evolution, and many of them do not go to church. They are, mostly, very rational, sensible people who assume responsibility for their actions and, generally, put the good of other humans before their spiritual sensitivities.

If we took away every religion, hypothetically, people will still come together and invest themselves in something new. Like the Cargo Cults or La Santa Muerte. People find comfort in numbers and big ideas. I see religion as a remarkable phenomenon that will spring up when most needed and become a hindrance after it has outlived its use.

Religion can offer emotional relief and bring people together to start a community. These are very good things for humans to have and no one religion is better at this than any other. Sadly, there is a dark side to this phenomenon. Community can become a mob. Emotional relief can lead to delusion. Guidelines can lead to oppression. Leaders can become charlatans and tyrants. Anything that cannot be questioned is vulnerable to this perversion and, unfortunately, religion is, too often, considered unquestionable.

^This.

Motion seconded. Motion carried.  Just because it floats, doesn't mean it's a witch.

thank you

You said everything I wanted to... in a rather more eloquent way.

I think it is still around to have something to blame. Like the ancient Greeks, whenever anything bad happened, they said that the Gods cursed their family with bad luck. Another reason might be that without knowing what was before the beginning of the universe, they think that the only possible thing is god. And a last reason is that people don't really believe in that stuff, it's just a family religion. Like I know people who are Atheists but still go to church because their parents do. Their probably are more reasons, but that is all I can think of.
I also will agree to Vancea L. Domide's explanation which I just read. So add that to the list. I think all in all, people don't really actually believe in gods or supernatural beings or events anymore. And technically, there doesn't have to be a god in a religion. For instance, Buddhism, atheism, and Confucianism. All of these are non-theistic religions. So vertigo one is wrong with his first section.

For instance, Buddhism, atheism, and Confucianism. All of these are non-theistic religions. So vertigo one is wrong with his first section.

No, but they do have to have some form of metaphysical comment. And for metaphysical comment, in the colloquial terms, read "God". Even if they do not believe in God, they have something to say about metaphysics.

What metaphysics has to do with religion? Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy not religion.

Religion is narrowing your mind to follow the philosophy of a religious leader.

Religious leaders are coercing the followers to their philosophy thus annihilating the means of philosophy. The presupposed Jesus actually followed already existing philosophies, the only ridiculous affirmation was the "revival", that actually was nothing new at the time. Christian religious leaders did not inform its followers that other religions already had a "revival" of their religious object.

Philosophy will exist forever, and religions as long as religious leaders will force philosophies on their followers.

Religion is philosophy with a god/s, it has nothing to do with religious leaders. At least no more than regular philosophy. If you read books by Nietzsche, Goldman, Kropotkin, or Schopenhauer or whomever you're basically doing the same thing a religious person who attends some form of organized religion is, which is willfully listening to someone tell you what to believe and how to interpret the world. You can disagree with philosophers all you want, but so can someone who follows an organized religion if they choose.

I've heard some good anti-religion arguments before, but this isn't one of them. It would be if religion = following every word of an  already established organized religion but it doesn't.

I told you already that religion is kind of philosophy. The only difference is that religion is imposed.

I've never heard of philosophers making state religion from their philosophies, but I know religious leaders who imposed their philosophies thus it became state religion.

In secular societies you have the freedom to dumb yourself with the help of Catholic church, Protestant church etc, for example.

RSS

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service