I've tried to analyze why it is that I am completely nocturnal (I am on EST) and what I have come up with is this, and I'll do it list style like John. Today's reply comes to you in five parts:
1. Quiet, dead peaceful quiet. My house was so loud growing up, people screaming at each other all of the time, that I could never get anything done during the day, I wouldn't start actually doing anything until after my parents went to bed and then I could actually start working on home work or what ever project I was doing. During the summer when my parents woke up that was my cue to go to bed.
2. The heat. I grew up in the Caribbean so during the day it was really hot and really humid. At the night the temperatures had cooled off to a more bearable condition.
3. I am self conscious. I prefer not to have people around when ever I am working on anything. I can't type with people behind my shoulder, I can't do any sort of project or be creative at all.
4. I really am nocturnal. I have to have light to sleep, if I do sleep at night then I have to have a light on. I think I just need things to stare at to fall asleep. If you turn off the light my brain goes Oh Hai! and with an absence of things to idly stare at starts thinking. And then three hours later I'll give up on the trying to save electricity thing and turn a light back on so I can fall asleep.
5. It might just be nature. Instead of all of the reasons that Iisted (nurture) it might just be that we are people are naturally more creative at night, nocturnal people seem to be the creative nerd types. If you'll allow me to be a hippie for a moment - plants, animals and character are ripened by the sun, but minds and creativity are ripened by the moon.
Actually wait, nevermind, that sounds effing ridiculous. Scratch that last bit. Well, I'll leave it there for everyone to laugh at but, Trelawney isn't a good look for me.
So why are you nocturnal? Does anyone else have any ideas?