Nerdfighters

So, we've all heard this before. Some people swear by their brewing method and are convinced that it creates a far more palatable tea for consuming.

Now that I've found a rather large group of tea enthusiasts, I'd love to hear your opinions on it. Is there any validity to the claims of "the looser the leaf, the better the tea"? I will say that I prefer any method over tea bags because I taste more bitter notes in the stronger black teas I like when I use a bagged brand.

So, which is it? Bags, balls, or nothing at all? Feel free to get into the science behind your position if you want. There's PLENTY there to discuss.

Tags: brewing, methods, opinion, quality, style

Views: 72

Replies to This Discussion

I have a spoon with two halves that hold the tea, with holes to let the water in and out. It looks kind of like this, only it says "W. GERMANY" on the back, so it must have been made before the Berlin Wall was torn down. I use it for convenience and because the loose bits of tea clean out easily. Also, I think the West Germany thing is cool. The tea strainer spoon is older than I am!
I like lose leaf, but I usually have to buy bags for it.
I buy loose leaf tea, for the most part, but use bags for it. Can't STAND tea balls of any kind.
i use bags......its all that i have available right now.
Can I just say how much I freakin love your avatar? Possibly one of the most adorable things I've ever seen.
I concur.
Thanks, just look up tea avatars on google........lol.
I had just ended up googling "tea plushies," hahaha. Seeing it up close makes me want to figure out how to make it even more, though...
I mainly use tea bags because it's convenient, I don't own any teabags. I do loose leaf occasionally when I get it loose from the store (teavana) but it's kinda pricey. I would like to bring up the point of how adorable tea balls can be, for example: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31cvBOA7fhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I really like to mix different flavors, so I might use a combination of all three sometimes. Whatever I have on hand, really. Though, if I'm having just plain Jasmine tea, I like it loose leaf. I dunno why, I just do.
I use loose leaf tea, but I use a teapot that has a strainer thingy in it. I drink far too much tea not to have a teapot. I love my teapot: http://www.gongfu-tea.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=164
I like to use tea bags for convenience, but my family has a bunch of loose leaf green tea, so I always end up using it.

RSS

Youtube Links!

Here are some YT links to channels related to Nerdfighteria and educational content!

*Can you think of any more? Pass along any suggestions to an Admin who will then add it to this list should it fit!

© 2014   Created by Hank Green.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service